Use our LinkedIn Login to download this post to PDF or save it to MyLibrary!
Who is a Product owner?
Which functions does this role embody?
What place does the role of a product owner take within Agile project?
Definition of Product Owner
Let’s start with the definition: a product owner is a representative of a customer which takes part in the process of software development and monitors correct implementation of requirements…
A product owner evaluates if the initial requirements are still actual and modifies them if necessary
A product owner is likewise responsible for the formation of stories in the product backlog.
It is a rare situation when a product owner represents a single customer or a single end user
He regularly communicates with a project manager and with a project team and even can be called a full member of this project team.
And, as it is already known, correct communications mean so much within Agile methodology.
post continues after these offers
Want to inspire others? So do we!
Help us inspire our audience as well as expand your audience
so they may inspire others as well!
Your sponsorship will bring podcasts, videos, and interviews
that will motivate both our audiences into action!
Just click the image below to discover more!
post continues from above
Through the product owner it can be really possible for the customer to start testing software as early as it is possible in order to discover defects opportunely. It is obvious that the earlier a defect is revealed, the cheaper is its correction.
Active involvement of a product owner
Active involvement of a product owner in the procedure of software development within Agile makes it simpler for a customer to understand the position of a project team and to look at things from their point of view.
It also becomes simpler to solve some controversial issues between a customer and a developer with the help of a product owner, and to find some compromise solutions.
Limitations and Focus of a Product Owner
Of course, the presence of a product owner does not negate correct project management and optimal allocation of tasks between the team members.
It is a competence of a project manager to cope with such important activity. And, certainly, some helpful tools such as issue tracking software, will only help to organize workflow optimally.
For instance, the following situation is not excluded.
For instance, a product owner decided to optimize requirements at a certain stage of a project and a project manager decided to hire some freelance specialists to cope with the tasks which appeared because of the modification of requirements.
Here one can get the information about contemporary and effective tools which will assist to monitor the activity of remotely working freelance specialists.
So, the key role of a product owner in Agile project is constant participation in a project and optimization of project workflow.
Discover More From Our Project Insights Series
More Content In This Series…
- The King of ROI is Beyond Knowledge and Great Skill Sets
- An Update On Our Launched Programs and Projects
- How to Learn the Art of Negotiating Your Contract
- Why The HRIS World?
- 5 Strong Reasons Your Company Should Move to Agile Development
- HR and IT Need to Combine Efforts on Workforce Analytics
- Tips On Picking The Right Project Manager
- Is Your HR Management Strategizing for Success?
- The Myths Many Believe About Home Office…
- Is ‘Which Project Methodology is Best?’ the Right Question?
- Big Data for Predicting Job Performance: Big Dollar$? or Big Whup ?
- Online Service for Booking SAP Consultants
- What Is the Key to Fully Utilizing Big Data in HR?
- How Do You Know When You Are Asking the Right Questions?
- Just What Is HRIS? (Intro Part 1 of 6)
- Is The Rate of Change in Technology Initiating Legal Concerns?
- Performing a Needs Assessment on Project Management (Intro Part 4 of 6)
- The Role of a Product Owner in Agile Projects
- Can You Name the 7 Steps to Effective Project Management?
- Your Guide to Effectiveness: 5 Top Process Improvement Books
- Is Your HRIS Up to Par?
- Reassessing the Management in Project Management (Intro Part 5 of 6)
- Need Help Searching for a Payroll Service Provider?
- HR Undercover: Buying Software (Part 2 of 3)
- No Time to Document Business Processes? Really??
- Avoiding Common End-User Training Mistakes
- Should You Try to Learn Six Sigma on Your Own?
- Lean Six Sigma vs. Six Sigma – Which Is for You?
- Looking at Project Management From Outside the Box (Intro Part 6 of 6)
- How Cloud Service Interruptions Are Only Symbolic
- The Key Components of Solid End-User Training
- How to Ensure A Successful HRIS Implementation – Part 2 of 2
- Open Source HR Software? or Closed Source? Which Shall It Be?
- A Beginner’s Guide to Cloud Applicant Tracking Systems
- What is Business Process Reengineering?
- How Mobile Technology Can Improve Your Recruitment Process
- Manage Your Project’s Expectations Before They Manage You — In Court…
- Managing Conflicts Within Your Team
- How Big Data Can Refine Recruiting
- Would These 2 Things Make a Difference in Your Projects?
- Can Feasibility Studies Be Contributing to Implementation Pains?
- Managing A Global Workforce
- The Importance of Keeping Users in Mind When Adopting New HR Tech
- Analytics Can Help Keep Your Company Strong
- Will Technology Take Over Recruiting?
- Why All the Pain When It Comes to Implementations?
- The Evolution of HR Technology
- Why Are Implementation Costs Higher Than Initial Estimates?
- HR Undercover: Replace Your System Not Your Staff (Part 3 of 3)
- Systematic & Effective Planning for Your HRIS Project (Intro Part 3 of 6)
- BEFORE Searching for A New HRIS System (Intro Part 2 of 6)
- RFP? Or Scenario? Which Shall It Be?
- HR Undercover: Challenge and Change (Part 1 of 3)
- How Do You Reduce the Implementation Pain Points? (part 2)
- How Do You Reduce the Implementation Pain Points? (part 1)
- Embracing Agile Business: Is Your Company Agile Enough to Thrive?
- How to Ensure A Successful HRIS Implementation – Part 1 of 2
- How to Obtain A PMP Certification While Maintaining Your Work Schedule
- Can You List 5 Not-So-Obvious Benefits of Using Six Sigma?
- You Need to Find the Ideal Data Integration Software Provider, But How?
- How Basecamp Impacts Project Management Execution
- Basecamp Will Definitely Change the Way You Do Project Management
- Why Add Customer Feedback to the SLCD?
- Applying Six Sigma to Transactions and Services
- Great Project Management? Strategy and Vision, Not Ownership of Results
- Why Process Management and Improvement is Becoming Paramount
- Are You Learning Project Management the Right Way?
- How Do You Overcome the Change Management Process?
- Troubleshooting and Business Processes in the Cloud Are… Different
- Need a KPI Template? We Have More than 15,000 KPI’s for You!
- What Can Happen When the RFI is Overlooked
- How PMP Certification Can Enhance Career Prospects
- Get – and Keep – Your Project Management Certification
Our Social Media Presence
Where to Follow Us!
Latest posts by Steward Copper (see all)
- The Role of a Product Owner in Agile Projects - Sat, 19-Mar-2016
- Why Do You Need a Human Resource Information System? - Mon, 20-May-2013