originally published 30-November-2010
Whatever insecurities is bothering Jullian Assange, the U.S. government and the Obama have proven they will not do what is needed to protect themselves and us from the likes of Mr. Assange. There were and still are plenty of options available to stop this fiasco but the lack of backbone throughout this administration has prompted a concern not only with other countries but business owners as well.
The proprietary ownership of information protects the entity and if part of a government, the sovereignty. This is why we have security clearance and copyright processes in both the government and businesses. Only the eyes that are supposed to see the information are given the proper clearance and access. Nothing ever works as planned and there will always be those that will work around security clearances and give little concern to copyrights.
What if a competing company in from another country gains access to the systems of a U.S. company? Given the level of – excuse me, the lack — of response by this administration besides verbal, our own businesses are not going to find much protection with our own government. This is where the federal government should be ratcheting it up several notches, not giving lip service.
As many companies are going cloud, there is even a GREATER risk of losing control and not knowing who exactly is accessing the data of a company is. The more the moving parts, the longer it takes before any infringement has occurred. We have already had several million college students and credit card holders exposed through a taped system that was not discovered until later.
When you give up the right to own manage, control and localize the very thing that is vital to your company, you have given up your company – and/or your sovereignty — to someone else.
• Save up to $119 w/Surface Pro 3 Bundle
• MS Work&Play Bundle $149 incl 1-yr subscriptions to:
Office 365 Home, Wi-Fi + Skype Unlimited World, Xbox Live Gold, Xbox Live Music Pass
Short URL for This Content
Author Bio and Latest Posts
Garrett is the Chairman of the Executive and Advisory Boards for
The HRIS World Research Network
With 20+ years in roles as a client executive sponsor, project manager as well as functional / technical lead, Garrett is sought for his expertise globally.
He has been involved in large-scale and complex implementations since 1991 and has recently moved his operations to be with his wife in Brazil.
Garrett has had the pleasure of working with some of the greatest talents in the industry, and constantly shares his experiences and knowledge through content and webinars.
He has managed somehow to be fluent in Portuguese, German, French and English along the way.
When not working, you will have to be adventurous to stay up with him as Garrett loves motorcycling, gunnery, boating, sailing, flying, and sports fishing.
Garrett’s current roles…
- Publisher, editor, writer, and owner of 6 leading HRIS system and career blogs which are read by 50,000+ monthly visitors monthly in 90+ countries, 40%+ the audience being decision-makers in their organization (and about half of that being C-levels!).
- Serves on the HR.com Advisory Board for the CoreHR, HRIS and Payroll Community
- Is the CEO for CGServices USA, focusing on multi-provider, multi-line implementations for HRIS systems
- Is a Council and Education Member of Gerson Lehrman Group Council, helping institutions of the world leaders meet, engage and manage experts across a wide range of sectors and disciplines.
In the news...
HR and the Cloud
Isabella Chan of HR Matters talks to Garrett O’Brien about the growth of cloud computing and building a technology strategy around HR.
Your Invite to Contribute
If you'd like to provide a post, a series of posts, or even be a regular contributor to any of The HRIS World blogs, you can use our contact page or reach us through our social media for details...
Latest posts by Garrett O'Brien (see all)
- Memorial Day 2015 - Fri, 22-May-2015
- If It Is May 19th Then the 18th Annual Edition of the Sierra-Cedar Survey Has Started! - Tue, 19-May-2015
- All Dressed Up and No Place to Go: Applications MUST Deliver or Be Left Behind - Mon, 18-May-2015
- FREE NewToHR Webinar Wed 27-May: The Myth Of HR Business Partnership By Allon Shevat - Thu, 14-May-2015
- Sierra-Cedar 18th Annual Edition of the HR Systems Survey Arrives Next Week! - Wed, 13-May-2015