Use our LinkedIn Login to download this post to PDF or save it to MyLibrary!
If you are reading this article, chances are you are one of the many thousands of mid-sized and growing organizations doing business around the world.
You’ve probably found that with international growth, comes the need for an international workforce, and with an international workforce comes international headaches!
The rise of modern, affordable Cloud HR software means there are now global HR solutions available to fit companies of every size and every budget.
Unfortunately, while most HR vendors claim their systems are global, many of them only solve part of the problem.
Rather than really supporting a global deployment, their international HRIS functionality is only skin deep.
Since these HR systems are delivered online, in the Cloud, it’s true that employees can log on from anywhere; and perhaps see screens in their chosen language—using familiar terminology or date formatting.
However, when it comes to key areas, like helping you comply with international data protection legislation, or having the flexibility to reflect local employment law, and ways of working, they can let you down.
Instead of saving you time, you’ll find yourself spending more time on problem solving.
So, let’s look under behind the marketing hype, and find out what features you really need to ensure the success of your global HR software deployment.
For vendor insights, we provide The HRIS World Content Series: Next Gen Vendor™ to promote their companies, products, services, and visions -- the Next Gen Vendor™ insights consists of 3 series...
- The HRIS World Vendor Spotlight™ focuses on the different aspects of the SMB / SME vendor, their services and software
- The HRIS World Vendor Interview Series™ focuses on the SMB and Enterprise vendor’s decision makers alike, their thoughts for the future of work as well as their own company, and what they see as the challenges coming up in the industry
- The HRIS World Enterprise Software Options™ focuses on the different aspects of the Enterprise vendor, their services and software
All 3 series can be found through the second menu at the top of any page under The HRIS World Content Series™
The Vendor Interview Series is provided in email, podcast and video interview format while the other two series are provided in a mix of the three to supplement the content.
You will find various aspects of a vendors business as well as any announcement of webinars, group demos, and conferences a vendor may be conducting.
If you are a vendor wanting to contribute to either series via a post or interview, feel free to click the blue contact us button on the lower right of your screen to let us know how we can assist -- or if you are reading this by our newsletter, then hit the reply button to get back to us!
At the end of the day, it’s you, not your HR software provider, that is responsible for ensuring your HR data is kept safe.
Privacy isn’t only important for you; it’s often the primary concern of employees asked to use an online HR system for the first time.
That means you need to be aware of where your data is held, and how you can restrict access based on employee roles (for example, so that line managers can only see certain information about their teams), and on where employees are located.
You may, for example, want a local HR administrator to manage payroll for employees in a particular division, department or country, but not see salary information for anyone elsewhere in the company.
Self-service is a game changer for HR; liberating you from tedious admin, and allowing employees to update personal data, help themselves to the information they need, connect with colleagues and much more.
However, for self-service to really work, employees in Europe or Asia need to feel just as at home using the system, as an employee in the Brazil or the US.
Local language support is part of this, as is familiar terminology (for example, postcode rather than zip code), but so is the ability for managers to tailor parts of the system to support the way they want to work.
For example, to pick their preferred date and time format, configure management dashboards or tailor reports to their particular requirements.
Country and Regional Calendars
Public holidays vary massively from country to country, and there are often regional variations, with different regions taking public holidays on different days, or awarding extra days, perhaps to reflect a local event or Saint day.
If your HR system can’t easily cope with regional and country calendars, you won’t be able to accurately keep track of time worked, sick time taken, or vacation entitlements.
Multiple Leave Entitlements
It seems that virtually every country has a different way of managing leave.
In the U.S., it’s not uncommon to bundle vacation and sick leave into one paid time off plan.
Elsewhere, they have to be treated separately.
In some countries multiple leave entitlements (both fixed and accrued) are common, and relate to different factors, such as length of service or seniority.
post continues after these free offers
Today's Featured Free Offer
Communication is more than just a monthly newsletter.
A Modern Communicator's Guide to Corporate Communications
This 6-page guide is full of tips and tricks to help you create compelling stories and enable meaningful conversations inside your organization with the help of a modern intranet solution.
Offered Free by: Igloo Software
post continues from above
Some countries set minimum amounts that need to be taken each year, others award additional holiday pay.
Some companies calculate leave in minutes and hours, others in days (or half days).
In some countries, leave can only be taken once it’s been “earned”, in others, it can be taken in advance.
Add into this the different country legislation covering requirement to provide time off for parental leave, jury duty, and loads of other reasons.
It’s easy to see that HR systems need to have enormous flexibility if they are to reflect local absence requirements – and free HR from endless questions from employees, and calculation and re-calculation of entitlements.
A significant driver for implementing online HR software is that it helps automate many of the most time-consuming tasks; automatically routing requests for approval, flagging overdue activities, and sending out reminders.
However, for HR process automation to work across different countries and cultures, flexibility has to be built in.
This could be for practical reasons-perhaps because one of your teams is managed from another office, so it makes more sense for sickness notifications to be routed to you in HR, leaving the local manager to take care of vacation requests or performance reviews.
Or it could be that you want to reflect the local way things are done — for example, in some countries employees earn the right to a certain number of hours of training each year, and can take these rights with them when they leave.
You need a system that allows you to tailor processes to fit, and track, and manage information in the best way for your organization.
However, flexibility does not have to mean additional cost or complexity.
In fact, the advantage of modern multi-tenanted HR solutions, is that the discipline of developing solutions that can be easily updated, means many of them are purposely designed to be configured by you, without needing technical input or customization by the supplier.
As your business grows and changes, you stay in control of how your system is set up – rather than being locked into an existing approach, or paying your vendor to customize it for you.
Before You Go
If connecting and improving the way you manage your global workforce is top of your agenda, challenge your supplier to prove their international credentials — and make sure the international HR software solution you select is fit for purpose.
Have any questions? Or perhaps suggestions? What is your experience? Let me know in the comments below — feel free to contact me through the social media links in my profile as well.
Discover More From Our Vendor Spotlight Series
More Content In This Series…
- How to Improve Project Management by Using Time & Attendance Software
- Seeking Cloud-Based Project Management Tools?
- Does Managing Your Talent Have to be Strenuous?
- Top 5 Absence Management Systems For Small Businesses
- Our Top 25 Viewed Posts for 2016
- Introducing Our Features for Everyone
- Time Tracking Software For Freelancers and SMBs
- Lumesse to Reveal Next Generation Talent Management Suite ETWeb empower at HR Tech World Paris
- What They Don’t Tell You Before Obtaining A New HRIS System
- How a Small Business Can Benefit from the Cloud
- HR Software Solutions Renews Its Relationship with The HRIS World
- Selecting a Global HR System: Essentials Check-List for SMB’s
- Mitigating and Overcoming Common Hazards of Building an Efficient Recruitment Process
- What is HR data really all about — metrics? Or INSIGHTS?
- How To Improve the Journey for your Candidates and Hiring Managers
- Top 10 Cloud Apps for Your Small Business
- Online Service for Booking SAP Consultants
- With Cloud Computing, What Do You Need to Know About IaaS?
- How Do You Determine Good Reporting Metrics When Using SharePoint?
- Top 5 Business Payroll Software Programs
- Do You Know What to Look for in Good HR Software?
- VidCruiter Continues to Innovate
- More Cloud-Based Services You May Be Using
- Exploiting Innovative Technologies in BI and Big Data Analytics
- From SMB to Enterprise: Top 5 Major European Payroll Software Vendors
- MOVE Guides for Your Talent Mobility
- talentia: Consolidated Technology Aligns Financial Data With HR Activity
- Sonru, Leading Video Interviewing Software Sponsors HR Tech World, Paris
- Lumesse au rendez-vous d’HR Tech World à Paris
- Top 5 Open Source Software for Human Resource Management
- metaphor.com: Boosting Empowerment – Can Empowering Employees Really Affect Change?
- Open Source HR Software? or Closed Source? Which Shall It Be?
- 4 HR Management Systems For Your Small Business (think Cloud)
- A Beginner’s Guide to Cloud Applicant Tracking Systems
- GigPlug – A New Channel for Talent Acquisition
- How to Make Preparing Your Resume Painless
- Renishaw and Talentia HR Software
- How Basecamp Impacts Project Management Execution
- Basecamp Will Definitely Change the Way You Do Project Management
- How to Reclaim Unsynced Files in Microsoft OneNote
- 5 Reasons Why Users Deem Linux as the Best OS
- Establishing Efficient Workflows Using SharePoint? Yes! Here’s How…
- Here’s a Thought: How About Using SharePoint to Actually… Share?
- Creating Value in Managing Documents By Using SharePoint
- Have You Thought About What to Look for In a SharePoint Consultant?
- Giving Small Business a Competitive Advantage with the Cloud
Our Social Media Presence
Where to Follow Us!
Latest posts by Sue Lingard (see all)
- Selecting a Global HR System: Essentials Check-List for SMB’s - Wed, 27-Jul-2016