Use our LinkedIn Login to download this post to PDF or save it to MyLibrary!
This series is focused on approaching HRIS Project Management from outside of the box as experienced and documented by Garrett OBrien of CGServicesUSA Inc as well as Lauren Gander of HR Software Solutions, Inc.
Lets be clear right up front that we are not ditching any of the methodologies of Project Management. Instead, we are taking a look at just why some projects go so well while most others do not from our own experiences as well as those documented elsewhere. From there we are focusing on the successful elements that seem to be missing from most Project Management methodologies. The projects that do not go so well happen more frequent than not and it seems most Project Managers just give in to timeline extensions and over budget occurrences as being part of the learning curve to gain for the next project as well as being part of the job.
Garrett did as well until his 5th project and decided there was more to making a project come in on-time and within budget than just luck and more likely the cause of missing skills as well as incorrect perceptions. If some Project Managers could run most if not all their projects on time and within budget while most others could not, then we sought out to find out why some could consistently do so well.
We look into what contributed to those consistent successes in our entire content series The HRIS World Project Insights Series™ with the first 6 posts sharing the professional experiences of Garrett OBrien. These 1st 6 posts are the foundation of most of this series and it is highly suggested you give them a good read. They are easily found with the short URLs j.mp/thwCESintro1 to /thwCESintro6 as well as in the listing of related content in the toggle box at the end of all posts related to this series.
All other content arrives from contributors like you as well as the sharing of experiences from Lauren Ganders company. Feel free to reach out to us if you wish to contribute some your thoughts via a post by clicking the contact us button on the lower right of any page.
Feedback, debates, discussion, collaboration and conversation are always encouraged in the comments section below... For more information about this series, use the blue contact us button on the lower right of your screen to contact us -- or if you are reading this by our newsletter, then hit the reply button to get back to us!
post starts below
Project management professional or PMP certification awarded by the Project Management Institute (PMI) is recognized in various parts of the world.
In addition to getting international recognition, the professional credential will further help you in building a successful career in project management fields.
But you have to invest time, efforts, and money to prepare for and pass the PMP Exam.
An aspirant has options to get PMP training through several traditional and online training providers.
If you are already working as a project manager, your busy work schedule will not allow you to attend classes on a regular basis.
So you have to consider joining an online PMP Exam Prep course to acquire the knowledge and skills required to clear the certification exam.
However, you must keep some important points in mind, while comparing different PMP training providers.
Course Duration and Schedule
A simple web search will fetch you information about a large number of institutions offering online PMP Exam Prep courses.
But the learning style and course schedule will vary from one training provider to another.
post continues after these offers
Want to inspire others? So do we!
Help us inspire our audience as well as expand your audience
so they may inspire others as well!
Your sponsorship will bring podcasts, videos, and interviews
that will motivate both our audiences into action!
Just click the image below to discover more!
post continues from above
Also, the duration of the training provider will also differ based on the option selected by you.
That is why; you must spend some time in understanding the duration and schedule of the courses offered by each institution.
You need to choose the course that allows you t0 acquire the relevant knowledge and skill at your own pace and convenience.
Credibility of the Online Training Provider
While evaluating the PMP Exam Prep courses, you also need to concentrate on the professional reputation and credibility of the training provider.
You can find many training providers registered with the PMI.
Here is a listing of some recent recommendations…
It is always advisable to choose an institution with long experience in offering project management training and high success rate.
You can even evaluate the reputation of an institution based on the word of mouth of the professionals who have already availed training from the institution.
Assistance of a Dedicated Trainer
You can join an online course to obtain the training without attending regular classes.
But you will still need the assistance of a qualified and experienced trainer to clarify your doubts.
So you must choose an institution that allows learners to interact with in-house trainers through emails, voice chats and phone calls.
The in-house trainer can further monitor your progress and suggest you techniques to enhance your skills.
Consider Money Back Guarantee
It may sound odd to choose an online PMP training provider based on the money back guarantee offered by it.
But the guarantee will enable you to appear multiple times for the exam without incurring any extra fees.
Also, when an institution offers a money back guarantee to the learners, the same indicates the quality and effectiveness of its training methods and techniques.
Many institutions allow learners to repeat the certification test without paying examination fees, whereas other offer additional instruction time to prepare you for the second attempt.
When you are appearing first time for the PMP Exam, it is important to gather information from various sources.
You can even choose the right PMP Exam Prep course based on the feedback and suggestions received from other designation holders.
What Are Your Thoughts??
If you haven’t started your PMP Certification, what are your concerns with a Prep course (besides what is listed by Sandhya)?
If you have obtained your PMP Certification through a prep course, what recommendations can you add?
Please share your thoughts in our comments section below!
Available in The HRIS World Resources
Publication Date: April 1, 2009 | ISBN-10: 0972967346 | ISBN-13: 978-0972967341 | Edition: Fourth Edition, Fourth edition
A study guide for the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification exam, this book provides all the information project managers need to thoroughly prepare for the test.
Review materials cover all the processes, inputs, tools, and outputs that will be tested, and extra help is offered with insider secrets, test tricks and tips, hundreds of sample questions, and exercises designed to strengthen mastery of key concepts and help candidates pass the exam on the first attempt.
About the Book Author
Andy Crowe is a certified Six Sigma Black Belt and the founder of Velociteach, a company that provides project management and certification training.
He is the author of Alpha Project Managers and The CAPM Exam.
He has taught classes in C++ for Microsoft University and advanced technology courses for the U.S. government and served on Microsoft’s .NET international advisory committee.
He lives in Kennesaw, Georgia.
This is a guest post by Sandhya Sriya, writer
Discover More From Our Project Insights Series
More Content In This Series…
- The King of ROI is Beyond Knowledge and Great Skill Sets
- An Update On Our Launched Programs and Projects
- How to Learn the Art of Negotiating Your Contract
- Why The HRIS World?
- 5 Strong Reasons Your Company Should Move to Agile Development
- HR and IT Need to Combine Efforts on Workforce Analytics
- Tips On Picking The Right Project Manager
- Is Your HR Management Strategizing for Success?
- The Myths Many Believe About Home Office…
- Is ‘Which Project Methodology is Best?’ the Right Question?
- Big Data for Predicting Job Performance: Big Dollar$? or Big Whup ?
- Online Service for Booking SAP Consultants
- What Is the Key to Fully Utilizing Big Data in HR?
- How Do You Know When You Are Asking the Right Questions?
- Just What Is HRIS? (Intro Part 1 of 6)
- Is The Rate of Change in Technology Initiating Legal Concerns?
- Performing a Needs Assessment on Project Management (Intro Part 4 of 6)
- The Role of a Product Owner in Agile Projects
- Can You Name the 7 Steps to Effective Project Management?
- Your Guide to Effectiveness: 5 Top Process Improvement Books
- Is Your HRIS Up to Par?
- Reassessing the Management in Project Management (Intro Part 5 of 6)
- Need Help Searching for a Payroll Service Provider?
- HR Undercover: Buying Software (Part 2 of 3)
- No Time to Document Business Processes? Really??
- Avoiding Common End-User Training Mistakes
- Should You Try to Learn Six Sigma on Your Own?
- Lean Six Sigma vs. Six Sigma – Which Is for You?
- Looking at Project Management From Outside the Box (Intro Part 6 of 6)
- How Cloud Service Interruptions Are Only Symbolic
- The Key Components of Solid End-User Training
- How to Ensure A Successful HRIS Implementation – Part 2 of 2
- Open Source HR Software? or Closed Source? Which Shall It Be?
- A Beginner’s Guide to Cloud Applicant Tracking Systems
- What is Business Process Reengineering?
- How Mobile Technology Can Improve Your Recruitment Process
- Manage Your Project’s Expectations Before They Manage You — In Court…
- Managing Conflicts Within Your Team
- How Big Data Can Refine Recruiting
- Would These 2 Things Make a Difference in Your Projects?
- Can Feasibility Studies Be Contributing to Implementation Pains?
- Managing A Global Workforce
- The Importance of Keeping Users in Mind When Adopting New HR Tech
- Analytics Can Help Keep Your Company Strong
- Will Technology Take Over Recruiting?
- Why All the Pain When It Comes to Implementations?
- The Evolution of HR Technology
- Why Are Implementation Costs Higher Than Initial Estimates?
- HR Undercover: Replace Your System Not Your Staff (Part 3 of 3)
- Systematic & Effective Planning for Your HRIS Project (Intro Part 3 of 6)
- BEFORE Searching for A New HRIS System (Intro Part 2 of 6)
- RFP? Or Scenario? Which Shall It Be?
- HR Undercover: Challenge and Change (Part 1 of 3)
- How Do You Reduce the Implementation Pain Points? (part 2)
- How Do You Reduce the Implementation Pain Points? (part 1)
- Embracing Agile Business: Is Your Company Agile Enough to Thrive?
- How to Ensure A Successful HRIS Implementation – Part 1 of 2
- How to Obtain A PMP Certification While Maintaining Your Work Schedule
- Can You List 5 Not-So-Obvious Benefits of Using Six Sigma?
- You Need to Find the Ideal Data Integration Software Provider, But How?
- How Basecamp Impacts Project Management Execution
- Basecamp Will Definitely Change the Way You Do Project Management
- Why Add Customer Feedback to the SLCD?
- Applying Six Sigma to Transactions and Services
- Great Project Management? Strategy and Vision, Not Ownership of Results
- Why Process Management and Improvement is Becoming Paramount
- Are You Learning Project Management the Right Way?
- How Do You Overcome the Change Management Process?
- Troubleshooting and Business Processes in the Cloud Are… Different
- Need a KPI Template? We Have More than 15,000 KPI’s for You!
- What Can Happen When the RFI is Overlooked
- How PMP Certification Can Enhance Career Prospects
- Get – and Keep – Your Project Management Certification
Our Social Media Presence
Where to Follow Us!
Contributors from Our Audience are professionals in the area of expertise and the bio was used in a different platform - with WordPress, each author now has their own dedicated profile.
The author's post(s) are entirely his or her own and may not always reflect the views of The HRIS World publications.
You can always reach any of our authors by leaving a comment or using anyone one of the social links provided in their bio - feel free to contact them, they love the feedback and recognition!
If you'd like to contribute an article for The HRIS World, contact us through our social media or our contact page for details about how you can share your tips with our audience...
Latest posts by Our Audience (see all)
- What Are The Security Issues Surrounding Cloud Technology? - Mon, 10-Jul-2017
- What Are the 10 Best HR Consulting Firms in Australia? - Sat, 8-Jul-2017
- 3 Tips for Assessing the Value of Degrees - Thu, 29-Jun-2017
- Before Switching To Cloud Computing - Wed, 28-Jun-2017
- Intel Core vPro Chip – How It Is a Security Lifeline - Tue, 27-Jun-2017