Use our LinkedIn Login to download this post to PDF or save it to MyLibrary!
Leadership needs to change with change -- and yet still discern what and which principles should not be forsaken.
The HRIS World Transformational Leadership Series™ takes both a high-level as well as up-close look at what it takes to inspire commitment so to achieve the vision of a preferred future, the very definition of Transformational Leadership.
Hashtag for The HRIS World Transformational Leadership Series™ is #thwTLS
For more information about this series, feel free to click the blue contact us button on the lower right of your screen to let us know how we can assist -- or if you are reading this by our newsletter, then hit the reply button to get back to us!
post starts below
Shakespeare and Much Ado About Nothing is more like Much Ado About Everything…
Our lives, if we stand back long enough, are comedies that, like Shakespeare’s play, combines elements of mistaken identities, love, robust hilarity with more serious meditations found on honour, shame, and court politics.
Yet nothing seems no longer irrelevant and everything seems to be relevant to everyone…
We are busier, hopefully more productive, better organized, more knowledgeable, than any society before us thanks to technology.
Yet at the same time, we are less regulated in our personal behavior and in the use of our tongue.
We need to return to ground zero and see what needs to be rebuilt…
post continues after these offers
Want to inspire others? So do we!
Help us inspire our audience as well as expand your audience
so they may inspire others as well!
Your sponsorship will bring podcasts, videos, and interviews
that will motivate both our audiences into action!
Just click the image below to discover more!
post continues from above
Raising the bar of expectations has never resulted in lower quality of anything – yet for many leaders, that bar keeps slipping.
Not going to raise quality or even maintain it without raising the bar of expectations, are you?
Without establishing sound character, change is going to be more of a challenge without than with sound character…
Whose Voice Do You Listen To?
Whose voices you choose to listen to will decide
– What you believe…
– What doors will close on you…
– What doors will open for you…
Facts and truth are irrelevant to any of the above.
Unavailable or Available to Learn?
You decide to when make yourself unavailable or available to learn – the facts and truth will sort themselves out as you keep yourself available to learn.
And not available at the levels you choose, but available at all levels.
Many times, if not most of the time, you will rely on information that makes you feel comfortable and not on information that challenges you
– to assess your beliefs
– to rethink your beliefs
– to change your beliefs
That can cause you more problems, more missed opportunities, more closed doors than you really know.
The Only Thing That Doesn’t Change is Change
In 2010, Eric Schmidt announced that every 2 days we now create as much information as we did from the dawn of civilization up until 2003 …
In 2013, knowledge was doubling every 12 months – with the build out of the IoT (Internet of Things), IBM has assessed that will change to every 12 hours …
Are you more productive since 2010? 2013? Or are you merely busier?
Busy? Or Productive?
Where have you really focused with all the latest gadgets you have at our disposal?
Developing economic gain?
Gaining more knowledge?
Learning to think differently?
Or are you creating whirlpools of busy-ness that only sucks the life out of you while you abandon
Are you truly getting ahead with technology?
Or is your technology getting ahead of you?
Most everyone knows Albert Einstein  – many of his thoughts and theories are still being proven, some nearly a CENTURY after came up with them, other thoughts of his are still in progress of being proven.
And he did all his thinking about the universe, physics, life…
without a computer – as it hadn’t been invented yet…
without a smartphone – as it hadn’t been invented yet…
Yes, he was gifted — which is exactly my point when combining technology, knowledge, discernment, even character…
We have the technology that can help us the way it couldn’t him…
The Ways and Means of Change
Ths topic on Radio 4 focuses on the effect smartphones have had on our lives in the last 10 years — and unfortunately working more efficiently has not been one of the realizations…
“With 10 years of the modern smartphone, we haven’t seen the productivity gains that you might expect that has been transformed in someways in the ways we work and transformed the way we live but has not transformed our economic fortunes…
“What proliferations of email allows you to do is to circulate information more effectively, and more rapidly, and to more people.
“That doesn’t necessarily, in and of itself, create economic value.
“What we are doing is making ourselves busier but we are not necessarily making ourselves more productive.
“Smartphones allow us to do things that we couldn’t do before, what they don’t do particularly well is regulate our behavior.
“Being able to communicate all the time just increases the amount of noise in an organization, it doesn’t increase the output.”
The ways David focuses upon isn’t productivity and being busy, as both are the ends.
The ways he focuses upon is the actions you choose, the actions we choose: ‘making ourselves‘
What you choose in doing with your technology is resulting in making yourself busier, or making yourself productive…
These choices are seeds for what you create, what you produce or just plainly not and remain a busy body…
Whether you are being busy or being productive, the rate of change of technology around you could not care less — the rate of change of technology is growing logarithmically no matter which you choose to do, so you are left with having to do what you can to change with change… or get left behind.
And the only way to change with change is by being productive, being selective in what you want to be productive about so to leverage your direction and future accordingly.
No society, no culture ever got ahead by being busy.
Forget the What, Learn the How
Albert Einstein once shared that we cannot expect to solve our problems using the same thinking we used to create them, lest we bury ourselves in more problems.
You have been trained by our present education system, which has been enforcing the same thing for more than a century now, to teach everyone to learn what to think…
With the rate of change of technology, this type of teaching and the rate of education can’t keep pace with the rate of change in technology – and truthfully, education is already getting left behind.
Think about that — education is already getting left behind.
That means you need to abandon being told what to think, you need to abandon learning what to think — and you need to learn how to think, with everything.
This is not something new — before the education system we have had for the last century or so, we had to learn many dry things like principles… laws…. morals… ethics… trustworthiness… respect… responsibility… fairness… caring… citizenship… all of them seeds that lead to learning how to think, learning how to build character.
And they were learned them in a mixed-level school room — as well as at home.
You will be hard pressed to find busy-ness and learning how to think in the same room…
More to come on this.
Do get our newsletter to stay up to date — and give yourself more time away from your busy-ness by making our content convenient for you.
More Content from David D’Souza
If you liked what you heard in David D’Souza’s interview and/or want to read morea about what he is thinking, he has contributed a couple of posts to us here:
What Makes a Great Conference – Why some conferences do well but not great
HR Tech Europe And Differentiating Differently — It’s all about how the data is differentiated, differently – images help!
You can also catch his blog here: 101 Half Connected Things
Discover More From Our Transformational Leadership Series
More Content In This Series…
- The King of ROI is Beyond Knowledge and Great Skill Sets
- When Trust In Leadership Is Consistently Breaking, Get a New Tea Cup
- An Update On Our Launched Programs and Projects
- Getting Tomorrow’s HR & HR Technology Leaders to Actually Listen, Reflect, Aspire, Lead… Serve…
- Why The HRIS World?
- Facts Are Important and Why They Are Not Enough
- How Looking Professional Could Land You the Pitch
- Beyond Change Management: Transformational Leadership Recommendations
- Modern Shakespeare – Why Change Has Much Ado About Everything
- Does Your Workplace Really Support Women?
- Does Your Company Have Unresolved Policies Concerning Digital Usage During Work?
- What Are the Key Challenges for HR in Europe?
- Why Business Ethics Doesn’t Work and Never Will
- The Price We Are Paying for NOT Unplugging From Work
- BYOD: What Is It? And How Will It Work for Your Business?
- Clear Content, Foggy Context, Skewed Perspective
- What We Are Unwilling to Change? And Why?
- Big Data for Predicting Job Performance: Big Dollar$? or Big Whup ?
- Is Your Company’s Strategy All Chat and No Metrics?
- How Do You Know When You Are Asking the Right Questions?
- Is An Open Door Policy Best For Your Team?
- Performing a Needs Assessment on Project Management (Intro Part 4 of 6)
- 6 Shortcuts for Retaining Your Employees in Record Time
- Why We, Not Technology, Are the Problem
- Do You Know How to Identify Your Future Business Leaders?
- Tips for Building Relationships with Your Employees — and Still Being Professional
- People and Technology, Just What Are We Pretending Not to Know?
- Understanding How to Use Big Data Is Dependent Upon One Trait
- 5 Ways to Motivate Employees and Teams to Hit Targets
- Reassessing the Management in Project Management (Intro Part 5 of 6)
- Exploiting Innovative Technologies in BI and Big Data Analytics
- When Turnover Boosts the Bottom Line
- What Role Can HR Play in a Turbulent Economy?
- Dealing with Sensitive Situations Like Sexual Harassment
- 10 Best American Companies for Which to Work
- Business Management 101: Do You Have the Basics Down?
- Team Alignment and Performance: Data Talks
- What Comes First — Your Company’s Strategy? Or Your Company’s Talent?
- 10 Traits of Transformational CEOs
- Manage Your Project’s Expectations Before They Manage You — In Court…
- Can HR Achieve A Competitive Advantage in China?
- BEFORE Searching for A New HRIS System (Intro Part 2 of 6)
- RFP? Or Scenario? Which Shall It Be?
- The High Cost of Ignorance When Selecting Selection Tools (part 2)
- The High Cost of Ignorance When Selecting Selection Tools
- Whither CSR?
- The HRIS Market in Italy: Opportunities and Challenges During an Economic Crisis
- Get Active and Start Promoting Employee Wellness
- Managing and Empowering Talent: The Importance of Training your Employees in 2013
- Background Check Challenges: HR Implications of the Navy Yard Shooting
- Why Your Business Needs a Clear-Cut BYOD Policy
- What If There Could Be a Way To Map Out The Future of HCM?
- Using Your Circles of Influence to Change Your Future
- Business as Usual? 5 Tactics That Every Business Needs to Practice
- 10 Lessons You Can Learn from Successful Entrepreneurs
- Is Mobile EAM Software the Wave of the Future?
- Fearful Leadership Can Become Courageous Leadership
- Recognizing Internal Business Threats and Maintaining Good Employee Relationships
- Raise the Bar on Your Company’s Performance Management!
- Using Military Leadership Skills to Improve Business
- 5 Core Leadership Skills The Greatest of Leaders Have in Common
- How to Make or Break a Business
- How to Lose Your IT Team in 10 days
- Own Your Own Success: The Value of a MBA for Women
- Just How Much Has Corporate Culture Impacted Your Life?
- The Importance of Celebrating Your Employees Difference
- 7 Tips for Planning an Out-of-Town Business Meeting
- Threatened: IT Jobs in the Wild
- What Can Happen When the RFI is Overlooked
- So… What Makes a Really GOOD Manager?
Our Social Media Presence
Where to Follow Us!
Garrett is the publisher, editor, writer forThe HRIS World Research Group, which includes The HRIS World, The HRIS World Research, The HRIS World Jobs, The HRIS World News, The HRIS World NewsMagazines, and The HRIS World Videos
With more than 20 years in roles as a client executive sponsor (#thwCES), project manager as well as functional/technical lead, Garrett is sought for his expertise for project insights, thought leadership, and team management globally.
He has been involved in large-scale and complex implementations since 1991 and has recently moved his operations to be with his wife in Brazil.
Garrett has had the pleasure of working with some of the greatest talents in the industry, and constantly shares his experiences and knowledge through content and webinars.
He maintains his fluency in Portuguese, German, French, and English with his various endeavors and contacts..
When not working, you will have to be adventurous to stay up with him as Garrett loves motorcycling, gunnery, boating, sailing, flying, and sports fishing -- and accompanying his wife on her various likes
About The HRIS World Research Group
The HRIS World blog, which is read by more than 50,000 from more than 160 countries monthly, manages to have more than 550,000 pages viewed monthly. 40%+ of the audience are decision-makers in their organization (and about half of that being C-levels!).
As CEO for CGServices USA Inc, he focuses on multi-provider, multi-line implementations consultation for HRIS systems
Council and Education Member of Gerson Lehrman Group Council, helping institutions of the world leaders meet, engage and manage experts across a wide range of sectors and disciplines.
Your Invite to Inspire Others
If you'd like to provide a post, a series of posts, or become a regular contributor to The HRIS World, click the blue contact us button on the bottom right of your screen to send us a message or reach us through our social media for details...
You can always contact Garrett via email, social media, or by leaving a comment below...
Latest posts by Garrett O'Brien (see all)
- MOVE Guides Shortlisted as Finalist for 2017 SaaS Awards - Thu, 3-Aug-2017
- The King of ROI is Beyond Knowledge and Great Skill Sets - Mon, 24-Jul-2017
- MOVE Guides CEO Brynne Kennedy Named a 2017 Workforce Magazine Game Changer - Fri, 21-Jul-2017
- When Trust In Leadership Is Consistently Breaking, Get a New Tea Cup - Wed, 19-Jul-2017
- Now Automate Your Billable Time or Payable Hours via Passive Timekeeping - Wed, 12-Jul-2017