Why Online Privacy is so Important
We all know how a frequent shopper card works by now — you enroll in the program, present it at check out, receive some unadvertised discounts, and off you go while the store gets to learn about your shopping habits so present future discounts of what you buy often and even what you buy at certain seasons of the year.
Now, imagine this ‘frequent shopper card’ — what is typically known as a 3rd party cookies — being placed unknowingly on your computer. Can something you don’t enroll in be placed on your machine? In one word – yes. Wherever you go on the internet, everything you look at, browse, buy, return, read is noted by this ‘frequent shopper card’ – amazon, eBay, Google, CNN, Fox News, tickets for your vacation, your favorite blogs, your secret blogs (you know those blogs, the one where you want to contribute because the people are so poor they can’t afford any clothes )…
Once Third-Parties Have Your Information, Then What?
Unfortunately, all this data is public, except the financial information used to make purchases or gain credit for returns. This means that you could find yourself being portrayed in a light you may not want others to know and/or in a light that is totally bogus, slanted, and/or down right false. Now what? Now you know why online privacy is so important — and how to keep ALL your browsers from being tracked with ONE plugin is a very good idea.
Abine, Inc. located in Boston, MA has developed a free plugin that works on almost all browsers. We have tested them successfully on the following browsers…
- Internet Explorer 32-bit
- Google Chrome
As of this posting, they are still working on releases for the following browsers…
- Internet Explorer 64-bit
If you have a browser they do not support, they do request an email address to notify you when they have updated their free plugin. We are not sure what other browsers are being considered, but the above browsers represent the majority in use right now.
Installation of the DoNotTrack plugin is FREE — and EASY…
In all the installations, the instructions were very clear and precise, we knew what we needed to do next and what was going to happen next. If you have two-left hands and your technical skills are non-existent, you will probably find this easy to follow — otherwise, you can get someone with such skills to install this for you.
This plugin has to be installed on EACH browser, the install took only a minute, and was operational immediately.
Here’s a quick 2 minute video on how to keep ALL your browsers from being tracked with ONE plugin…
To get this, just go to Abine Inc’s website and download the DoNotTrackPlus free plugin. Download it, install it, and let us know what you think! Go to Abine NOW!
Short URL for This Content
Author Bio and Latest Posts
Garrett is the Chairman of the Executive and Advisory Boards for
The HRIS World Research Network
With 20+ years in roles as a client executive sponsor, project manager as well as functional / technical lead, Garrett is sought for his expertise globally.
He has been involved in large-scale and complex implementations since 1991 and has recently moved his operations to be with his wife in Brazil.
Garrett has had the pleasure of working with some of the greatest talents in the industry, and constantly shares his experiences and knowledge through content and webinars.
He has managed somehow to be fluent in Portuguese, German, French and English along the way.
When not working, you will have to be adventurous to stay up with him as Garrett loves motorcycling, gunnery, boating, sailing, flying, and sports fishing.
Garrett’s current roles…
- Publisher, editor, writer, and owner of 6 leading HRIS system and career blogs which are read by 50,000+ monthly visitors monthly in 90+ countries, 40%+ the audience being decision-makers in their organization (and about half of that being C-levels!).
- Serves on the HR.com Advisory Board for the CoreHR, HRIS and Payroll Community
- Is the CEO for CGServices USA, focusing on multi-provider, multi-line implementations for HRIS systems
- Is a Council and Education Member of Gerson Lehrman Group Council, helping institutions of the world leaders meet, engage and manage experts across a wide range of sectors and disciplines.
In the news...
HR and the Cloud
Isabella Chan of HR Matters talks to Garrett O’Brien about the growth of cloud computing and building a technology strategy around HR.
Your Invite to Contribute
If you'd like to provide a post, a series of posts, or even be a regular contributor to any of The HRIS World blogs, you can use our contact page or reach us through our social media for details...
Latest posts by Garrett O'Brien (see all)
- FREE NewToHR Webinar Wed 17-Apr: Lauren Gander – Introduction to HRIS - Tue, 24-Mar-2015
- LinkedIn Group Changes… Disrupting? Or Destroying? - Fri, 6-Mar-2015
- Nicole LeMaire to Speak at HR Tech Europe 2015 London - Wed, 25-Feb-2015
- Less Than 5 Weeks to HR Tech Europe 2015 London! - Thu, 19-Feb-2015
- Getting Beyond Metrics, Statistics, Analytics, Productive Hacks, Mediation - Thu, 12-Feb-2015