Use our LinkedIn Login to download this post to PDF or save it to MyLibrary!
With the rate of change in technology happening as quickly as it is today, legal concerns are building up everywhere.
Both cannot keep pace with how fast things are suddenly happening.
And given Moore’s Law, this pace is not about to slow down either — which also means there are going to be some headaches as well as opportunities in dealing with the legal circles…
Identify the Constants
No matter how fast anything changes there are some constants that must be taken into account.
As cloud computing gets its name from the fact that everything you do seems to be available anywhere, then where is your data really located?
How is it being stored?
Who is responsible for its security?
Laws are usually based upon entities and/or sovereignties and it creates boundaries in which the protection of the law is supposed to be applied.
Given the nature of cloud computing then, a key question about cloud computing remains unresolved in the law books as well the courts.
post continues after these offers
Want to inspire others? So do we!
Help us inspire our audience as well as expand your audience
so they may inspire others as well!
Your sponsorship will bring podcasts, videos, and interviews
that will motivate both our audiences into action!
Just click the image below to discover more!
post continues from above
Questions as to which law applies to your organization’s data in the cloud are basically simple:
The law as applied to where you are located?
The law as applied to where your data is located? Or
The law where the data subject is located?
The answers, however, are not simple.
Especially if you have cloud services in other countries, international consensus on this issue has not yet been tested.
Verify Affects of Geographic Region
As most contracts provide which laws under which any disputes could be resolved, and the location of the court where such disputes could be heard, it’s essential for a cloud-computing contract to identify the geographic region within which the data centers hosting your data, and potentially the headquarters of the cloud provider, may be located, and to address the cloud provider’s obligations to keep your data in those regions.
Otherwise, the overlaps and potential conflicts between the possible governing laws could make legal and data access compliance impossible.
Controlling 3rd Party Access to Your Data?
As risk management focuses on retaining some measure of control, your contract with the cloud provider should require the cloud provider to notify you regarding its receipt of any 3rd party request to access your data.
Be sure to specify the time frame within which such notice should be provided.
And make it paramount that in ALL cases notice should be given ahead of granting access to any of your organization’s data.
Also, make your cloud provider to make an obligation to limit the disclosure of your data to the extent legally possible, and to cooperate with your efforts to appropriately manage the release of any data.
The Last Word
Most of this can be performed proactively by a due diligence investigations of the cloud provider’s standard practices and procedures.
These will reveal that it has a policy in place that meets your data access requirements, and you should codify this in the contract, and include a copy of that policy as an attachment.
Credit is due to Thomas Trappler for sharing much of this information. Thomas is the director of software licensing at the University of California, Los Angeles, and a nationally recognized expert, consultant and published author in cloud computing risk mitigation via contract negotiation and vendor. He offers several guides to cloud computing contracts.
Discover More About Our Project Insights Series
More Content In This Series…
- The King of ROI is Beyond Knowledge and Great Skill Sets
- An Update On Our Launched Programs and Projects
- How to Learn the Art of Negotiating Your Contract
- Why The HRIS World?
- 5 Strong Reasons Your Company Should Move to Agile Development
- HR and IT Need to Combine Efforts on Workforce Analytics
- Tips On Picking The Right Project Manager
- Is Your HR Management Strategizing for Success?
- The Myths Many Believe About Home Office…
- Is ‘Which Project Methodology is Best?’ the Right Question?
- Big Data for Predicting Job Performance: Big Dollar$? or Big Whup ?
- Online Service for Booking SAP Consultants
- What Is the Key to Fully Utilizing Big Data in HR?
- How Do You Know When You Are Asking the Right Questions?
- Just What Is HRIS? (Intro Part 1 of 6)
- Is The Rate of Change in Technology Initiating Legal Concerns?
- Performing a Needs Assessment on Project Management (Intro Part 4 of 6)
- The Role of a Product Owner in Agile Projects
- Can You Name the 7 Steps to Effective Project Management?
- Your Guide to Effectiveness: 5 Top Process Improvement Books
- Is Your HRIS Up to Par?
- Reassessing the Management in Project Management (Intro Part 5 of 6)
- Need Help Searching for a Payroll Service Provider?
- HR Undercover: Buying Software (Part 2 of 3)
- No Time to Document Business Processes? Really??
- Avoiding Common End-User Training Mistakes
- Should You Try to Learn Six Sigma on Your Own?
- Lean Six Sigma vs. Six Sigma – Which Is for You?
- Looking at Project Management From Outside the Box (Intro Part 6 of 6)
- How Cloud Service Interruptions Are Only Symbolic
- The Key Components of Solid End-User Training
- How to Ensure A Successful HRIS Implementation – Part 2 of 2
- Open Source HR Software? or Closed Source? Which Shall It Be?
- A Beginner’s Guide to Cloud Applicant Tracking Systems
- What is Business Process Reengineering?
- How Mobile Technology Can Improve Your Recruitment Process
- Manage Your Project’s Expectations Before They Manage You — In Court…
- Managing Conflicts Within Your Team
- How Big Data Can Refine Recruiting
- Would These 2 Things Make a Difference in Your Projects?
- Can Feasibility Studies Be Contributing to Implementation Pains?
- Managing A Global Workforce
- The Importance of Keeping Users in Mind When Adopting New HR Tech
- Analytics Can Help Keep Your Company Strong
- Will Technology Take Over Recruiting?
- Why All the Pain When It Comes to Implementations?
- The Evolution of HR Technology
- Why Are Implementation Costs Higher Than Initial Estimates?
- HR Undercover: Replace Your System Not Your Staff (Part 3 of 3)
- Systematic & Effective Planning for Your HRIS Project (Intro Part 3 of 6)
- BEFORE Searching for A New HRIS System (Intro Part 2 of 6)
- RFP? Or Scenario? Which Shall It Be?
- HR Undercover: Challenge and Change (Part 1 of 3)
- How Do You Reduce the Implementation Pain Points? (part 2)
- How Do You Reduce the Implementation Pain Points? (part 1)
- Embracing Agile Business: Is Your Company Agile Enough to Thrive?
- How to Ensure A Successful HRIS Implementation – Part 1 of 2
- How to Obtain A PMP Certification While Maintaining Your Work Schedule
- Can You List 5 Not-So-Obvious Benefits of Using Six Sigma?
- You Need to Find the Ideal Data Integration Software Provider, But How?
- How Basecamp Impacts Project Management Execution
- Basecamp Will Definitely Change the Way You Do Project Management
- Why Add Customer Feedback to the SLCD?
- Applying Six Sigma to Transactions and Services
- Great Project Management? Strategy and Vision, Not Ownership of Results
- Why Process Management and Improvement is Becoming Paramount
- Are You Learning Project Management the Right Way?
- How Do You Overcome the Change Management Process?
- Troubleshooting and Business Processes in the Cloud Are… Different
- Need a KPI Template? We Have More than 15,000 KPI’s for You!
- What Can Happen When the RFI is Overlooked
- How PMP Certification Can Enhance Career Prospects
- Get – and Keep – Your Project Management Certification
Our Social Media Presence
Where to Follow Us!
Garrett is the publisher, editor, writer forThe HRIS World Research Group, which includes The HRIS World, The HRIS World Research, The HRIS World Jobs, The HRIS World News, The HRIS World NewsMagazines, and The HRIS World Videos
With more than 20 years in roles as a client executive sponsor (#thwCES), project manager as well as functional/technical lead, Garrett is sought for his expertise for project insights, thought leadership, and team management globally.
He has been involved in large-scale and complex implementations since 1991 and has recently moved his operations to be with his wife in Brazil.
Garrett has had the pleasure of working with some of the greatest talents in the industry, and constantly shares his experiences and knowledge through content and webinars.
He maintains his fluency in Portuguese, German, French, and English with his various endeavors and contacts..
When not working, you will have to be adventurous to stay up with him as Garrett loves motorcycling, gunnery, boating, sailing, flying, and sports fishing -- and accompanying his wife on her various likes
About The HRIS World Research Group
The HRIS World blog, which is read by more than 50,000 from more than 160 countries monthly, manages to have more than 550,000 pages viewed monthly. 40%+ of the audience are decision-makers in their organization (and about half of that being C-levels!).
As CEO for CGServices USA Inc, he focuses on multi-provider, multi-line implementations consultation for HRIS systems
Council and Education Member of Gerson Lehrman Group Council, helping institutions of the world leaders meet, engage and manage experts across a wide range of sectors and disciplines.
Your Invite to Inspire Others
If you'd like to provide a post, a series of posts, or become a regular contributor to The HRIS World, click the blue contact us button on the bottom right of your screen to send us a message or reach us through our social media for details...
You can always contact Garrett via email, social media, or by leaving a comment below...
Latest posts by Garrett O'Brien (see all)
- MOVE Guides Shortlisted as Finalist for 2017 SaaS Awards - Thu, 3-Aug-2017
- The King of ROI is Beyond Knowledge and Great Skill Sets - Mon, 24-Jul-2017
- MOVE Guides CEO Brynne Kennedy Named a 2017 Workforce Magazine Game Changer - Fri, 21-Jul-2017
- When Trust In Leadership Is Consistently Breaking, Get a New Tea Cup - Wed, 19-Jul-2017
- Now Automate Your Billable Time or Payable Hours via Passive Timekeeping - Wed, 12-Jul-2017