Use our LinkedIn Login to download this post to PDF or save it to MyLibrary!
Experience is Everything
Now we’ve all applied for jobs, not that first paper round you did or even the bar you worked in at Uni.
I’m talking about the jobs that mattered to you.
The Graduate programme, or the career switch, the situations where making the right decision felt like everything.
The jobs where you are desperate to find a company with the right fit, to secure right role.
But getting these jobs from my own experience is not easy; it takes days, weeks, even months going through different applications with numerous companies.
You find yourself lost and frustrated amongst a sea of process and administration, completing web forms, adding profiles, completing online tests.
No two organisations processes are the same and so often little or no feedback for all your efforts.
Applying for my internship I went through over 50 different application processes, where only 20 companies even came back to me with feedback, let alone a decision.
For vendor insights, we provide The HRIS World Content Series: Next Gen Vendor™ to promote their companies, products, services, and visions -- the Next Gen Vendor™ insights consists of 3 series...
- The HRIS World Vendor Spotlight™ focuses on the different aspects of the SMB / SME vendor, their services and software
- The HRIS World Vendor Interview Series™ focuses on the SMB and Enterprise vendor’s decision makers alike, their thoughts for the future of work as well as their own company, and what they see as the challenges coming up in the industry
- The HRIS World Enterprise Software Options™ focuses on the different aspects of the Enterprise vendor, their services and software
All 3 series can be found through the second menu at the top of any page under The HRIS World Content Series™
The Vendor Interview Series is provided in email, podcast and video interview format while the other two series are provided in a mix of the three to supplement the content.
You will find various aspects of a vendors business as well as any announcement of webinars, group demos, and conferences a vendor may be conducting.
If you are a vendor wanting to contribute to either series via a post or interview, feel free to click the blue contact us button on the lower right of your screen to let us know how we can assist -- or if you are reading this by our newsletter, then hit the reply button to get back to us!
post continues after these featured free offers
Want to inspire others? So do we!
Help us inspire our audience as well as expand your audience so they may inspire others as well!
Your sponsorship will bring podcasts, videos, and interviews that will motivate both our audiences into action!
Just click the image above to discover more!
post continues from above
The Pain of the Process
Well, I understand the recruiting journey is no easy thing and is usually heavy on ‘administration’ for the HR team.
But too often those in charge of recruitment forget about the crucial part of ‘Experience’ through your hiring process for candidates.
What do I mean?
Well some of the things seem so very simple,
- 86% of companies don’t provide confirmation emails
- 89% provide vague or inconclusive job descriptions, and
- 83% of candidates were not notified when the position was filled
These don’t seem like the most heinous of crimes, but the ramifications for the organisation and brand could be much longer lasting.
Did you know that
- 72% of applicants are unlikely to recommend an organisation to others if they don’t hear back from interviewers
- 40% will never apply again if their experience was negative and more worryingly
- most say that they are unlikely purchase products/services from that organisation in the future
Bad Processes Instill a Lack of Confidence
So with this in mind, here I am, an eager and enthusiastic individual looking for that perfect role.
I find a brand I like, I head to careers from their glitzy customer website site and then BAM!
I am not sure if any of you know what I mean, but I seem to be transported to another world.
I was left thinking… Is this still the same brand/website/organisation that I want to apply for?
What am I doing here?
Why do I now feel like I am on one of those bizarre websites where after giving you details you can expect 100’s emails (spam!) from different firms, S-C-A-R-Y!
But as I am still eager and determined to apply for the job, I remain focused and try to make sure that all of my details are correct, to ensure every question is answered in an appropriate manner, paying attention to spelling and grammar.
But this website is not helping, it’s difficult to navigate, and eats at my concentration right from the start.
Speaking honestly, there were perhaps maybe 2 or 3 occasions during my 50 applications, where I thought to myself, WOW, this website actually looks like it was made in the ‘10’s.
The means only around 6% of the organisations I contacted had a reasonable to good candidate experience.
This is shocking when you consider this publicised ‘talent shortage’ or the potential effect negative candidate experiences can have on your overall brand, just look at the stats above.
Where the Focus Needs to Change
The process isn’t simple, but the answer is:
Deliver experiences that you would be happy to part of, ones that fulfill the need for information capture but that engage and are relevant to modern working.
For instance, applying via mobile.
You would be amazed how many huge brands still have career websites not optimised for mobile.
When you consider that Google now prioritises mobile optimised sites in their rankings and that mobile usage overtook desktops way back in 2014 (now over 2,000 million users), how much Talent are organisations missing by not catering to this way of working?
But this experience isn’t just limited to candidates; HR must consider their internal customers too.
Bad Processes Domino Internally As Well
Hiring managers are customers too.
They engage with HR for a service, for assistance in filling their teams.
Like the candidates, HR teams need to capture information from these internal customers for their records, but again experience is key.
Implementing technology is a common way to monitor and extend the reach of HR, however, how many organisations make sure everyone understands it?
How many organisations implement software without a focus on adoption as a key priority for their teams?
This adoption needs to consider the human process first, and then be mapped to technology.
Mobile recruiting through task-orientated workflows can save hours of time and make significant cost savings, but only if users are correctly enabled and the information is accurate.
End-User Experience Are Important at All Levels
Another consideration is that adapting to new technology can be difficult for users, especially for people that have been using the same resources over and over again for past 10 – 15 years.
There are many challenges to face and adoption is one of them.
The most important step is to provide training for mangers, which will allow them to reach the full potential of new options.
Defining right requirements that will let to deal with different level of complexity of hiring is crucial.
Therefore before considering new technology, that will deal with different levels of complexity within the hiring experience for candidates and managers, think about the processes it will be based on and the humans that will be using it.
How to Get Started
Want to know more about how you can enhance your candidate experience from end to end?
Then register for our key issue webinar by clicking on this image…
Discover More Content About Lumesse
Discover More From Our Vendor Spotlight Series
More Content In This Series…
- Call for Sponsors
- How to Improve Project Management by Using Time & Attendance Software
- Seeking Cloud-Based Project Management Tools?
- Does Managing Your Talent Have to be Strenuous?
- Top 5 Absence Management Systems For Small Businesses
- Our Top 25 Viewed Posts for 2016
- Introducing Our Features for Everyone
- Time Tracking Software For Freelancers and SMBs
- What They Don’t Tell You Before Obtaining A New HRIS System
- How a Small Business Can Benefit from the Cloud
- HR Software Solutions Renews Its Relationship with The HRIS World
- Selecting a Global HR System: Essentials Check-List for SMB’s
- Mitigating and Overcoming Common Hazards of Building an Efficient Recruitment Process
- What is HR data really all about — metrics? Or INSIGHTS?
- How To Improve the Journey for your Candidates and Hiring Managers
- Top 10 Cloud Apps for Your Small Business
- Online Service for Booking SAP Consultants
- With Cloud Computing, What Do You Need to Know About IaaS?
- How Do You Determine Good Reporting Metrics When Using SharePoint?
- Top 5 Business Payroll Software Programs
- Do You Know What to Look for in Good HR Software?
- VidCruiter Continues to Innovate
- More Cloud-Based Services You May Be Using
- Exploiting Innovative Technologies in BI and Big Data Analytics
- From SMB to Enterprise: Top 5 Major European Payroll Software Vendors
- MOVE Guides for Your Talent Mobility
- talentia: Consolidated Technology Aligns Financial Data With HR Activity
- Top 5 Open Source Software for Human Resource Management
- metaphor.com: Boosting Empowerment – Can Empowering Employees Really Affect Change?
- Open Source HR Software? or Closed Source? Which Shall It Be?
- 4 HR Management Systems For Your Small Business (think Cloud)
- A Beginner’s Guide to Cloud Applicant Tracking Systems
- GigPlug – A New Channel for Talent Acquisition
- How to Make Preparing Your Resume Painless
- Renishaw and Talentia HR Software
- How Basecamp Impacts Project Management Execution
- Basecamp Will Definitely Change the Way You Do Project Management
- How to Reclaim Unsynced Files in Microsoft OneNote
- 5 Reasons Why Users Deem Linux as the Best OS
- Establishing Efficient Workflows Using SharePoint? Yes! Here’s How…
- Here’s a Thought: How About Using SharePoint to Actually… Share?
- Creating Value in Managing Documents By Using SharePoint
- Have You Thought About What to Look for In a SharePoint Consultant?
- Giving Small Business a Competitive Advantage with the Cloud
Our Social Media Presence
Where to Follow Us!
Garrett is the publisher, editor, writer forThe HRIS World Research Group, which includes The HRIS World, The HRIS World Research, The HRIS World Jobs, The HRIS World News, The HRIS World NewsMagazines, and The HRIS World Videos
With more than 20 years in roles as a client executive sponsor (#thwCES), project manager as well as functional/technical lead, Garrett is sought for his expertise for project insights, thought leadership, and team management globally.
He has been involved in large-scale and complex implementations since 1991 and has recently moved his operations to be with his wife in Brazil.
Garrett has had the pleasure of working with some of the greatest talents in the industry, and constantly shares his experiences and knowledge through content and webinars.
He maintains his fluency in Portuguese, German, French, and English with his various endeavors and contacts..
When not working, you will have to be adventurous to stay up with him as Garrett loves motorcycling, gunnery, boating, sailing, flying, and sports fishing -- and accompanying his wife on her various likes
About The HRIS World Research Group
The HRIS World blog, which is read by more than 50,000 from more than 160 countries monthly, manages to have more than 550,000 pages viewed monthly. 40%+ of the audience are decision-makers in their organization (and about half of that being C-levels!).
As CEO for CGServices USA Inc, he focuses on multi-provider, multi-line implementations consultation for HRIS systems
Council and Education Member of Gerson Lehrman Group Council, helping institutions of the world leaders meet, engage and manage experts across a wide range of sectors and disciplines.
Your Invite to Inspire Others
If you'd like to provide a post, a series of posts, or become a regular contributor to The HRIS World, click the blue contact us button on the bottom right of your screen to send us a message or reach us through our social media for details...
You can always contact Garrett via email, social media, or by leaving a comment below...
Latest posts by Garrett O'Brien (see all)
- How to Master Speaking Confidently for Presentations - Wed, 14-Jun-2017
- How to Learn the Art of Negotiating Your Contract - Tue, 13-Jun-2017
- Our Education System Needs a Wake-Up Call – From You - Mon, 5-Jun-2017
- New Feature: Weekly Video Presentations… Or How We Bounced From A Critical Error - Fri, 2-Jun-2017
- Ransomware: Stop Playing With Fire… and Fate - Tue, 16-May-2017