Use our LinkedIn Login to download this post to PDF or save it to MyLibrary!
Although your job hunt should never solely focus on job boards, using a targeted niche job board can prove to be very helpful.
These boards are usually much smaller than the major ones, but they do hold some job gems.
You’ll also stand a much higher chance of being hired, as potential employers who use them usually have a smaller pool of candidates to choose from.
If you apply via a targeted board, you’ll also earn ‘respect points’, as high quality job seekers usually use a niche board.
Use a Board with Endorsements
There are loads of niche boards out there, but some are definitely better than others.
According to NicheBoards.com, you should keep a look out for ‘success stories’ on the job board site.
- Do companies in your industry have good things to say about the board?
- Have a look at the banner ads: Are they from well-known organisations?
- Does the job board have a good reputation within your specific industry?
Another thing to look out for is links.
If reputable trade publications or organisations have a link to the niche board on their websites, it means that they endorse it.
NicheBoards.com also recommends that you start with the most popular niche boards, as sites that get the most traffic will be a good bet.
post continues after these featured free offers
Want to inspire others? So do we!
Help us inspire our audience as well as expand your audience so they may inspire others as well!
Your sponsorship will bring podcasts, videos, and interviews that will motivate both our audiences into action!
Just click the image above to discover more!
post continues from above
More Likely to Find a Job If You Niche
According to Money.USNews.com, the large boards often don’t aggregate all the job listings, and the smaller niche boards usually have jobs that don’t show up on the major sites.
Sometimes the smaller boards even display hiring managers’ contact info, which is an added bonus as you can contact them directly.
You’ll also compete with fewer candidates on a niche board, and hiring managers will have fewer applicants to sift through.
By applying through a niche board, it will also show potential employers that you know the industry and that you’re a high quality candidate, as niche applicants tend to have more specialised skills.
Watch Out for Spam Sites
According to Money.USNews.com, some job boards exist only for traffic reasons, with the owners making money off Google Ads.
You should generally avoid these types of sites, as they won’t be very helpful.
Be wary if the board has a lot of unrelated job ads.
A reputable niche board will have relevant and targeted job postings, and will feature well-known companies.
They’ll also often have a quality blog, or useful links and industry-related articles.
NicheBoards.com also advises that a reputable board will have good customer service; for example, they answer emails promptly and they know their products.
Biggest Advantages of a Niche Job Board
Using a niche job board in your job search can be a great tool, as it can point you in the right direction (and potentially get you hired).
Even if you don’t nab a job directly through the board, it’s still an excellent way to get a good feel for your industry, to see who the reputable players are, and to get your foot in the door.
Discover More On Jobs
Discover More On Recruiting
- 3 Tips for Assessing the Value of Degrees
- Finding Work After Long-Term Unemployment
- Aspirations of a New Generation – the Millennials
- The Value of Pre-Employment Testing in the Recruitment Process
- Background Checks Are Enough? Think Again…
- What Is Compromised In the Recruitment Screening Process
- Staffing Your IT Department for Success
- LatAm Is Turning SMS Into A Recruitment Tool
- Big Data and HR: A love story
- How to Use Pinterest to Find Your Dream Job
- How to Implement Social Media to Your Business
- Is a Job Candidate’s Social Media History Taboo?
- Taking a Chance in Your Hiring Decisions — Polished? or Rough?
- The Impact Of Mobile On Recruiting
- Looking for that Right Employee? 6 Ways to Recruit Effectively
- Porter Williams: The Candidate Interviewing Process With Technology That Keeps Pace With Business
- Building a Talent Pool by Using Social Media
- The Importance of Public Relations in Business
- When Turnover Boosts the Bottom Line
- Marie Claire Poitras: A Simplified Way to Video Interviewing
- Who is Brynne Herbert, Besides CEO & Founder of MOVE Guides’?
- How Facebook Can Help Recruit Healthcare Workers
- 6 Things to Look for on a Job Candidate’s Social Media Profile
- How Using A Niche Job Board Increases Your Prospects
- What is The True Cost of Employee Turnover?
- How Mobile Technology Can Improve Your Recruitment Process
- What Can a Company Do to Streamline the Hiring Process?
- The Evolution of HR Technology
- 5 Most Common Mobile Recruiting Mistakes
- The High Cost of Ignorance When Selecting Selection Tools (part 2)
- The High Cost of Ignorance When Selecting Selection Tools
- Transforming Talent Into Tomorrow’s Workforce
- If 70% Are Seeking Jobs via Mobile, Then Why Aren’t You Mobile?
- Hiring Process: Saving You Money? Or Costing You Your Investment?
- What Suggestions Do You Have for a Best Practice Guide to Recruitment?
- 7 Reasons Why You Bombed That Job Interview
- Threatened: IT Jobs in the Wild
- How Technology Has Changed HR and the Hiring Process
- What Are the 10 Best HR Consulting Firms in Australia?
- Why You Should Be Using Social Media for Recruiting
Our Social Media Presence
Where to Follow Us!
Contributors from Our Audience are professionals in the area of expertise and the bio was used in a different platform - with WordPress, each author now has their own dedicated profile.
The author's post(s) are entirely his or her own and may not always reflect the views of The HRIS World publications.
You can always reach any of our authors by leaving a comment or using anyone one of the social links provided in their bio - feel free to contact them, they love the feedback and recognition!
If you'd like to contribute an article for The HRIS World, contact us through our social media or our contact page for details about how you can share your tips with our audience...
Latest posts by Our Audience (see all)
- 3 Tips for Assessing the Value of Degrees - Thu, 29-Jun-2017
- Before Switching To Cloud Computing - Wed, 28-Jun-2017
- Intel Core vPro Chip – How It Is a Security Lifeline - Tue, 27-Jun-2017
- Finding Work After Long-Term Unemployment - Wed, 7-Jun-2017
- Is Using Social Media While Working Cheating My Employer? - Thu, 27-Apr-2017