Use our LinkedIn Login to download this post to PDF or save it to MyLibrary!
If you run a business, you know about how the importance of concepts like integrity, fairness, and customer service can affect your company’s reputation.
You also know that it’s important for you to display appropriate conduct in non-business settings if you want to establish a strong personal reputation.
You may be even be aware of how a negative personal reputation can adversely impact your business’s reputation.
But what about your online reputation?
Can that have a negative effect on your company as well?
Your online reputation is defined as the perceptions of others based on what they see about you on the Internet.
As such, one’s online reputation may or may not resemble their personal or business reputation.
Nevertheless, it would be foolhardy to assume that an online reputation holds no consequences outside of cyberspace.
post continues after these offers
Want to inspire others? So do we!
Help us inspire our audience as well as expand your audience
so they may inspire others as well!
Your sponsorship will bring podcasts, videos, and interviews
that will motivate both our audiences into action!
Just click the image below to discover more!
post continues from above
Define the Blurry Lines
Before the creation of the information superhighway, the boundaries between one’s personal and professional reputation were a bit more solid.
That was largely because people generally only cared about one or the other, depending on whether their relationships were business or personal.
Today, anyone get learn a wealth of information about an individual with just a few minutes’ worth of searching on the Internet.
As a result, they tend to weigh the information they receive from the Web when they are formulating an opinion about either a person or a company – regardless of whether there is a logical connection between one’s online reputation and his or her work.
That’s why it’s often unwise to promote your personal views on public websites if you own a company.
If your opinions are incendiary, they may turn off potential customers from ever engaging your services.
Even if your opinions are not out of the mainstream, they could still offend a significant portion of consumers and ultimately impact your bottom line.
Examples of these types of opinions include:
- religious views or affiliations
- active endorsements of political candidates
- views on controversial issues (like immigration, welfare, guns, drugs, etc.)
- membership in race-based organizations
- ties to groups or organizations that have a negative perception in the media
Monitor Your Online Reputation
It’s even possible for you to have a negative online reputation and not know it.
That’s why it’s important to monitor all of your online accounts pertaining to everything from social media to dating to community involvement.
If someone decides to paint you in a negative light, you may not be made aware of it until it starts hurting your business if you don’t practice effective online reputation management strategies.
This is especially true if you are an independent contractor or businessperson (like a realtor, accountant, or writer). Companies or individuals who engage your services will want to know that they can trust you, and any red flag raised by your online reputation may be enough for them to eliminate you from consideration and/or take their business elsewhere.
It’s easy to dismiss your perception in cyberspace as something that is inaccurate and inconsequential.
But people who own companies that depend on image to attract clients and maintain a customer base ignore their online reputations at their own peril.
Discover More About Career Management
- What Are the 10 Best HR Consulting Firms in Australia?
- Infograph: Job Safety – How Safe is Your Job? Think Again…
- How to Master Speaking Confidently for Presentations
- What is Social Learning and How Does It Apply to HR?
- Finding Work After Long-Term Unemployment
- Creating a Successful Professional Development Plan
- Our Education System Needs a Wake-Up Call – From You
- Is Using Social Media While Working Cheating My Employer?
- Managing Work-Life Integration
- Millennial Performance Reviews: Thoughts from a Millennial
- How Looking Professional Could Land You the Pitch
- What Should a Good Relocation Policy Have for Your Move?
- Your 4-Point Guide to Successfully Managing Millennials
- Managing Your Career in Uncertain Economic Times
- 7 Job Interview Tips You Definitely Shouldn’t Ignore
- 10 Great Ways To Improve Your Career NOW
- Does Your Workplace Really Support Women?
- Does Your Company Have Unresolved Policies Concerning Digital Usage During Work?
- Why Business Ethics Doesn’t Work and Never Will
- The Price We Are Paying for NOT Unplugging From Work
- 8 Mistakes to Avoid When Considering a Career Change
- Staffing Your IT Department for Success
- 4 Things To Verify Before Working for That New Employer
- Any Clue How to Improve Your LinkedIn Profile Search Results?
- What We Are Unwilling to Change? And Why?
- Making Money: What it Takes to Become a Successful Entrepreneur
- How Can Your Online Reputation Negatively Affect Your Company?
- Is An Open Door Policy Best For Your Team?
- How to Use Pinterest to Find Your Dream Job
- REPOST: A Formal Education Equals A Good Manager?
- How Your Knowledge Of English Can Influence Your Career Prospects
- What’s In An Internship?
- 6 Shortcuts for Retaining Your Employees in Record Time
- How to Implement Social Media to Your Business
- Do You Know How to Identify Your Future Business Leaders?
- Knowing When It’s Time to Fire an Employee
- Technology or Not, Why Everyone is Your Customer
- Can Your HR Department Benefit From Online Training?
- There’s a Need for Businesses and Educators to Collaborate
- Passion: Do What You Like, Like What You Do
- ESL: E-Learning A Second Language Vital To Business Bottomline
- 5 Marketing Tips to Market You!
- Know What NOT to Do When Conducting Performance Reviews?
- What You Should Do After Your Interview
- MOVE Guides for Your Talent Mobility
- Your Resume and Identity Theft — How to Protect Yourself
- Business Management 101: Do You Have the Basics Down?
- Organizations Don’t Tweet, People Do – Euan Semple
- Classroom Etiquette You Shouldn’t Take to the Workplace
- Are You The Shining New HR Star?
- Time for Innovation for Our Education System
- Why Are Teachers Finding Technology a Challenge
- Education is Important, Yet There’s Still Something More Valuable…
- What Makes a Great Conference?
- Using Online Training to Improve Employee Skills and Morale
- How to Make Preparing Your Resume Painless
- 2 Things You Can Do to Build Your Network Effectively NOW
- Job Hunting Not Going Well? Perhaps Something Is Showing…
- Finding that Right ONE! – the GAVE way
- Whither CSR?
- Ladies! Do You Worry About What People Think of You?
- 5 Pointers for Businesspeople Who Despise Public Speaking
- The Argument Against Mind Mapping
- 3 Facebook Posting Methods That Could Hurt Your Reputation
- 7 Ways to Approach Employee Conflict Resolution
- The Tripod of a Happy and Healthy Existence: Life, Love, Work
- Get Active and Start Promoting Employee Wellness
- Giving Back: How to Involve Your Company in a Community
- 6 Ways to Save Money on Business Travel
- 4 (Free) eBooks on How to Find a Job
- What Would You Do If You Had A Box of Crayons?
- Never Graduated? Getting Your Degree Can Help Your Business
- Media Convergence…
- HR Performs a Fit-Gap Analysis – On Itself…
- Using Your Circles of Influence to Change Your Future
- Creating an Empowering Workspace: The Impact of Environment on Employee Productivity
- Coping with Redundancy: Using Disappointment as a Springboard to Future Career Success
- First Day at Work: How to Fit into Your Office Environment
- Using Social Media to Improve Your Brand’s Reputation
- 10 Lessons You Can Learn from Successful Entrepreneurs
- Experts Weigh In: 5 Ways To Maximize HR Workflow
- Developing An Effective Way to Access Bright Career Prospects
- How Home Office Options Are Shifting Incentives
- Why Multi-Tasking and Being Plugged-In All the Time Isn’t
- Using Military Leadership Skills to Improve Business
- 5 Great Ways to Really Impress an Interviewer
- If You’re Thinking About Changing Careers…
- Own Your Own Success: The Value of a MBA for Women
- Are You Linking in Properly on LinkedIn? Are you sure?
- What Suggestions Do You Have for a Best Practice Guide to Recruitment?
- Breaking The Myths of Networking
- Entering the Workforce? What You Need to Know About Interviews
- Everything You Need to Know About SharePoint Training
- HRCI Introduces HRBP and HRMP: Globally Relevant
- Threatened: IT Jobs in the Wild
- Why Not Consider an Advanced Degree in HR Management?
- Career Opportunities After Completing Your ERP Course
- Why You Should Be Using Social Media for Recruiting
Our Social Media Presence
Where to Follow Us!
Chris Martin is a freelance writer about topics ranging from business strategy to entrepreneurship to corporate finance solutions.
Latest posts by Chris Martin (see all)
- How Can Your Online Reputation Negatively Affect Your Company? - Sun, 10-Apr-2016
- Is Your HRIS Up to Par? - Fri, 29-Jan-2016
- Embracing Agile Business: Is Your Company Agile Enough to Thrive? - Mon, 21-Jul-2014