Use our LinkedIn Login to download this post to PDF or save it to MyLibrary!
A Vice Comes in Many Disguises, Many Appearances
Dependency on anything at a chemical and/or emotional level will bring out the worst in a person — but also provides the employee an opportunity to take ownership and change everything
Every workplace brings together employees of all personality types, and workplace stress can cause employees to act unusually.
This does not necessarily mean a worker is struggling with an addiction, but certain red flags may suggest an employee is using drugs.
Drug Recognition reports some 22 million working Americans have used illegal narcotics within the past month, while another 13 million Americans have drinking problems.
If you’re a business owner or manager who suspects an employee is using drugs, take these steps to help your employee and create a productive, safe working environment.
Document Instances of Suspected Use
Accusing an employee of using drugs rarely results in the desired effect.
An outright accusation can cause someone to turn away from you, in the event he or she feels too much stress in order to ask for help.
Instead, make an effort to carefully note each instance a person’s behavior, performance, responses or appearance seemed radically different than normal.
Once you have a record, you can use it to speak to specific dates and instances when you discuss the problem and possible solution.
This documentation needs to be facts only and not mere suspicions of behavior or individual drug types.
post continues after these featured free offers
Want to inspire others? So do we!
Help us inspire our audience as well as expand your audience so they may inspire others as well!
Your sponsorship will bring podcasts, videos, and interviews that will motivate both our audiences into action!
Just click the image above to discover more!
post continues from above
Test for Drug Use
Drug testing remains a controversial practice in business, but it is legal.
Still, consider instituting nonrandom employee testing in cases where a manager can show a reasonable suspicion of drug use.
Furthermore, if these employees have higher-risk jobs, you can institute testing since you can prove in court their performances depend on sobriety.
Getting Professional Help
Ultimately, you want to ensure your employees can overcome their drug problems and return to work in a healthy and positive fashion.
To do so, you will need the assistance of doctors, drug counselors, psychologists or therapists to help an individual overcome an addiction.
A counselor or doctor will be able to help a manager or business owner determine the best course for rehabilitation.
Recommendations from Our Store
The Last Word
A few people can quit cold turkey, but the majority will need professional help.
While some treatment centers focus solely on a one-treatment-fits-all philosophy, a holistic approach that focuses on specialized techniques is effective in fostering healthy lifestyle changes beyond treatment.
Best Drug Rehabilitation founder and former addict Per Wickstrom believes treatment should be tailored to the individual, instead of an all-purpose solution forced on each patient.
Give the patient choice in the type of treatment he receives as a positive first step in empowering him for a road to recovery.
What Are Your Thoughts?
✔ Approaching this topic with any employee is always a sensitive matter as due to its very nature most are going to deny having this addiction in the first place. What has worked for you when approaching an employee on this matter?
✔ What policies did you have to change to make your own EAP program successful when it comes to alcohol and drug abuse?
✔ What research and/or services can The HRIS World do for you and your company when it comes to addictions? Feel free to leave a comment below or click below to use our contact page to reach us!
Please share your thoughts with us and our audience in the comments section below! Or you can reach us directly from our contact page.
Discover More About HR Management
- Millennial Performance Reviews: Thoughts from a Millennial
- Aspirations of a New Generation – the Millennials
- How to Deal with Sexual Harassment or Discrimination Complaints Now
- What Should a Good Relocation Policy Have for Your Move?
- What Are the Key Challenges for HR in Europe?
- Is Your HR Management Strategizing for Success?
- The Price We Are Paying for NOT Unplugging From Work
- Employee Drug Abuse: How to Identify and Deal With It
- In-Office Daycare: Pros and Cons
- Maternity Leave: What’s Standard Time Off?
- How To Retain Your Best Employees for the Long Term
- Employee Satisfaction: The Key to Successful Business?
- Is Your Company’s Strategy All Chat and No Metrics?
- 5 Great Month-to-Month Clubs Your Top Employees Will Love
- Google: Human Resources 2.0
- REPOST: HR Tech Europe And Differentiating Differently
- Investing in People: How to Invest Your Capital and Empower Employee Performance
- Is a Job Candidate’s Social Media History Taboo?
- How Tech Companies Can Retain Their Employees
- Pointers for Maintaining Current Talent
- Tips for Building Relationships with Your Employees — and Still Being Professional
- 5 Things You Can Do to Build Office Morale
- 5 Ways to Motivate Employees and Teams to Hit Targets
- There’s a Need for Businesses and Educators to Collaborate
- 3 Ways FSAs Save Money During Tax Time
- Talking to Employees About Budgeting for More Expensive Insurance
- Dealing with Sensitive Situations Like Sexual Harassment
- MOVE Guides for Your Talent Mobility
- The Key Components of Solid End-User Training
- Apps That Make Relocation Easier
- Organizations Don’t Tweet, People Do – Euan Semple
- Team Alignment and Performance: Data Talks
- How To Streamline New Employee Onboarding
- metaphor.com: Boosting Empowerment – Can Empowering Employees Really Affect Change?
- Pregnancy And The Workplace
- How Better Communication Makes HR Run Smoother
- What is The True Cost of Employee Turnover?
- Can HR Achieve A Competitive Advantage in China?
- Can Big Data Help You Find The Best Employees?
- Analytics Can Help Keep Your Company Strong
- How to Add Cost-Effective Value To Employee Benefit Plans
- Time for Innovation for Our Education System
- The Evolution of HR Technology
- Innovation Needs More Human Stimulus, Not More Technology…
- Education is Important, Yet There’s Still Something More Valuable…
- What Does Inclusion & Diversity Really Mean?
- How Your Benefit Plan Helps Attract Quality Employees
- The Strategic Roll Of Human Resources In Innovation
- Moving Towards a More Analytics-Driven HR?
- The High Cost of Ignorance When Selecting Selection Tools (part 2)
- The High Cost of Ignorance When Selecting Selection Tools
- How To Discern Between A Trend and A Fad?
- As A Decision Maker, Are You Promoting or Hindering Innovation?
- Whither CSR?
- Innovation Survey from Connected Age
- Collectivism vs. Individualism: Which Fosters Innovation?
- 7 Ways to Approach Employee Conflict Resolution
- Pointers for Finding New Talent When You Can’t Offer Much Compensation
- Get Active and Start Promoting Employee Wellness
- Giving Back: How to Involve Your Company in a Community
- Creating a Healthy Office Space: The Key to Long-term Productivity
- How a Workplace Injury Could Affect Your Business, Directly & Indirectly
- Creating an Empowering Workspace: The Impact of Environment on Employee Productivity
- Hiring Process: Saving You Money? Or Costing You Your Investment?
- How Much Privacy DO You Have with a BOYD?
- 5 Ways to Keep Employees Satisfied
- Promoting Success in the Workplace
- How to Make or Break a Business
- How An Effective Absence Management Policy Can Benefit All
- Threatened: IT Jobs in the Wild
- What Are the 6 Foci of HR Management?
- Ensuring Equality in the Workplace as an HR Manager
Our Social Media Presence
Where to Follow Us!
Garrett is the publisher, editor, writer forThe HRIS World Research Group, which includes The HRIS World, The HRIS World Research, The HRIS World Jobs, The HRIS World News, The HRIS World NewsMagazines, and The HRIS World Videos
With more than 20 years in roles as a client executive sponsor (#thwCES), project manager as well as functional/technical lead, Garrett is sought for his expertise for project insights, thought leadership, and team management globally.
He has been involved in large-scale and complex implementations since 1991 and has recently moved his operations to be with his wife in Brazil.
Garrett has had the pleasure of working with some of the greatest talents in the industry, and constantly shares his experiences and knowledge through content and webinars.
He maintains his fluency in Portuguese, German, French, and English with his various endeavors and contacts..
When not working, you will have to be adventurous to stay up with him as Garrett loves motorcycling, gunnery, boating, sailing, flying, and sports fishing -- and accompanying his wife on her various likes
About The HRIS World Research Group
The HRIS World blog, which is read by more than 50,000 from more than 160 countries monthly, manages to have more than 550,000 pages viewed monthly. 40%+ of the audience are decision-makers in their organization (and about half of that being C-levels!).
As CEO for CGServices USA Inc, he focuses on multi-provider, multi-line implementations consultation for HRIS systems
Council and Education Member of Gerson Lehrman Group Council, helping institutions of the world leaders meet, engage and manage experts across a wide range of sectors and disciplines.
Your Invite to Inspire Others
If you'd like to provide a post, a series of posts, or become a regular contributor to The HRIS World, click the blue contact us button on the bottom right of your screen to send us a message or reach us through our social media for details...
You can always contact Garrett via email, social media, or by leaving a comment below...
Latest posts by Garrett O'Brien (see all)
- How to Master Speaking Confidently for Presentations - Wed, 14-Jun-2017
- How to Learn the Art of Negotiating Your Contract - Tue, 13-Jun-2017
- Our Education System Needs a Wake-Up Call – From You - Mon, 5-Jun-2017
- New Feature: Weekly Video Presentations… Or How We Bounced From A Critical Error - Fri, 2-Jun-2017
- Ransomware: Stop Playing With Fire… and Fate - Tue, 16-May-2017