The market for HR / HR technology / HRIS software is trying to keep pace with the demand and for good reason — a LOT of systems are getting old, which means the technology and the means for reporting are already old (5 years or more is considered old).
This also means the demands and means to search for a system, solutions and/or software is also growing — where there is a need, there are those willing to fill the need. This includes, but is not limited to, blogs and companies that focus specifically on the pros and cons, ins and outs, as well as bells and whistles of the latest versions of various systems.
As these resources are already available to you, what we are NOT going to do is tell you with this post is what to buy nor are we going to tell you if integrated or best-in-class is the best avenue to go — but we will guide you on what they are not telling you and why we believe you need to take a step back from your current considerations before going any further.
For vendor insights, we provide The HRIS World Content Series: Next Gen Vendor™ to promote their companies, products, services, and visions -- the Next Gen Vendor™ insights consists of 3 series...
- The HRIS World Vendor Spotlight™ focuses on the different aspects of the SMB / SME vendor, their services and software
- The HRIS World Vendor Interview Series™ focuses on the SMB and Enterprise vendor’s decision makers alike, their thoughts for the future of work as well as their own company, and what they see as the challenges coming up in the industry
- The HRIS World Enterprise Software Options™ focuses on the different aspects of the Enterprise vendor, their services and software
All 3 series can be found through the second menu at the top of any page under The HRIS World Content Series™
The Vendor Interview Series is provided in email, podcast and video interview format while the other two series are provided in a mix of the three to supplement the content.
You will find various aspects of a vendors business as well as any announcement of webinars, group demos, and conferences a vendor may be conducting.
If you are a vendor wanting to contribute to either series via a post or interview, feel free to click the blue contact us button on the lower right of your screen to let us know how we can assist -- or if you are reading this by our newsletter, then hit the reply button to get back to us!
Stop Asking What to Look For and Start Asking How to Look
Whenever we ask what to look for in anything, we are placing ourselves at the mercy of the person providing the answer(s) — there will be just as many varied answers just as the number of people you ask.
But the best way to discover what someone else learned, what they experienced are through the right questions.
What they wanted, what they valued, what they discovered, what they experienced, particularly the pain points they experienced, are going to differ — as will yours as you get underway.
Instead, you want to know how to look and instead of what to look for with questions like…
- Why did they start looking for a system?
- What needs were not being met when they started looking for a system?
- What did they discover about the search and implementation that surprised them?
- What did they discover was more important that surprised them? the least important?
- Did they make the right choice for a system? Are the regretting not going with another system? If so why?
- If they made the wrong choice, then when did they realize this and how did they realize this?
- If they made the right choice, then when did they realize this and what told them they did?
- What would they do different now that they have this new system for the next 5 to 7 years?
You will walk away with a MUCH clearer picture of what you need to do next instead of finding yourself at the bottom of an empty bag full of suggestions.
Question the Current Status Quo
Why? You want to test what you believe before moving forward.
More often than not, a belief is formed by hearing something being said repeatedly, especially by experts, the experienced, business associates, your boss…
That does not make their or your beliefs factual — following the wrong beliefs is what causes pain, errors, delays, bad investments, and can test the best of relationships.
Our own experience calls for front-ending a project with resources instead of the middle and tail end — and only about a third of our clients would test their beliefs.
With more than 20 years experience, two things were more than painfully obvious — the projects that ran over budget as well required sliding the timeline had made 2 common decisions…
- They stayed with what they believed
- They loaded the middle and tail end of the project with resources and funding
The projects that ran on or under budget as well completed on-time or early had made 3 common decisions….
- They allowed us to test their beliefs
- They permitted a systematic approach to the entire project that loaded at the front and middle
- We trained them to focus on how to think instead of what to think
Beliefs are not easy to overcome, but the differences when permitted to be tested, was (and is) undeniably beneficial.
Find A Tool That Provides Better Selection Leveraging Not Just Better Selections
With the changes in technology as well as the market happening so quickly, dependency upon the latest inform is becoming even more paramount.
Even with asking the right questions and making the right approach, the choices can be daunting for even the most astute of learners.
This Week's Featured Free Offer
The Essential HR HandbookThe Essential HR Handbook is a quick-reference guide that sheds light on the issues that keep managers up at night
This book is filled with information, tools, tips, checklists, and road maps to guide managers and HR professionals through the maze of people and legal issues, from recruiting and retaining the best employees to terminating poor performers.
With this book, you’ll learn how to effectively and efficiently:
- Individually manage each employee, starting on his or her first day
- Manage a multi-generational workforce
- Appraise job performance
- Coach and counsel
- Provide equitable pay, benefits, and total rewards strategies
- Identify legal pitfalls and stay out of court
The Essential HR Handbook is the one HR guide every manager needs on his or her desk!
Offered Free by: Career Press
What many today want is technology selection made easy — and there are many from which to choose.
Our suggestion is to find a selection site that provides a wide range of options that can be reduced to a sizable number through tools that will assist you or your consultant team into making the right decisions.
Product features you will want to be sure are included with such services?
- requirements and stakeholder management
- assistance with the creation of the RFI and RFP
- provide POC and trails modules
- stakeholder surveys
- financial module
- dashboard for the executive
Also be sure you have support for professional services such as
- consultation for your selection
- support that is available via email, phone or other means
- responding to your queries in short order
- providing a dedicated account manager
- training customized to your needs
Before You Go
All these thoughts should get you going down the right path – some even offer a Human Resource Management template to help get you started.
Whatever you do, you want to approach this systematically and not problematically — your business processes are unique and not matched anywhere.
Without taking a systematic approach you could find your new system, well… very problematic…
Still have questions? Want to move forward with your thoughts or bounce them off of someone for feedback (aka free consultation)?
Be sure to leave a comment below or if privacy is a concern, click here to reach us by email.
Either way, we’ll be in touch shortly!
Discover More Content About SelectHub
Discover More From Our Enterprise Software Options Series
More Content In This Series…
Discover More From Our Project Insights Series
More Content In This Series…
Discover More From Our Vendor Spotlight Series
More Content In This Series…
Our Social Media Presence
Garrett is the publisher, editor, writer forThe HRIS World Research Group, which includes The HRIS World, The HRIS World Research, The HRIS World Jobs, The HRIS World News, and The HRIS World Videos
With more than 20 years in roles as a client executive sponsor (#thwCES), project manager as well as functional / technical lead, Garrett is sought for his expertise for project insights, thought leadership, and team management globally.
He has been involved in large-scale and complex implementations since 1991 and has recently moved his operations to be with his wife in Brazil.
Garrett has had the pleasure of working with some of the greatest talents in the industry, and constantly shares his experiences and knowledge through content and webinars.
He maintains his fluency in Portuguese, German, French, and English with his various endeavors and contacts..
When not working, you will have to be adventurous to stay up with him as Garrett loves motorcycling, gunnery, boating, sailing, flying, and sports fishing -- and accompanying his wife on her various likes
About The HRIS World Research Group
The HRIS World blog, which is read by more than 50,000 from more than 160 countries monthly, manages to have more than 550,000 pages viewed monthly. 40%+ of the audience are decision-makers in their organization (and about half of that being C-levels!).
As CEO for CGServices USA Inc, he focuses on multi-provider, multi-line implementations consultation for HRIS systems
Council and Education Member of Gerson Lehrman Group Council, helping institutions of the world leaders meet, engage and manage experts across a wide range of sectors and disciplines.
Your Invite to Contribute to The HRIS World blog
If you'd like to provide a post, a series of posts, or even be a regular contributor to any of The HRIS World blogs, click the blue contact us button on the bottom right of your screen to send us a message or reach us through our social media for details...
You can always contact Garrett via email, social media, or by leaving a comment below...
Latest posts by Garrett O'Brien (see all)
- Sharpen Your Career Skills At Your Convenience - Wed, 15-Feb-2017
- Tips On Picking The Right Project Manager - Mon, 13-Feb-2017
- What Have We Learned About Cloud Security? Myth and Threats - Fri, 10-Feb-2017
- Beyond Change Management: Transformational Leadership Recommendations - Wed, 8-Feb-2017
- What Is A VPN And Why You Should Really Be Using a VPN - Tue, 7-Feb-2017