Use our LinkedIn Login to download this post to PDF or save it to MyLibrary!
Dawn Altnam is a regular contributor to The HRIS World.
The human resources department is a busy and productive place in almost all offices.
While, to outsiders, it often feels like the only thing that human resources does is hire new employees, the department actually handles many important tasks that improve things for the office as a whole.
Because of this, HR managers are always looking for new ways to improve the flow of information in and out of the department.
Find out how managers are using the concept of “big data” to learn more about the employees who work for them and streamline the entire human resources process…
When your company starts looking for new employees, the human resources department goes into overdrive.
Whether the recruiting process involves visiting career fairs, accepting open applications or actively headhunting, there are many tasks on which the HR staff is constantly working.
However, by utilizing “big data,” the recruiting process is often simplified.
The main way big data is used in recruiting is using the concept of predictive analysis.
post continues after these featured free offers
Want to inspire others? So do we!
Help us inspire our audience as well as expand your audience so they may inspire others as well!
Your sponsorship will bring podcasts, videos, and interviews that will motivate both our audiences into action!
Just click the image above to discover more!
post continues from above
Essentially, in recent years, HR managers have collected information about all their employees, which is now a data miner’s dream.
Analyzing the data on the best employees allows those working in HR to determine what type of person would make the best candidate for any open positions in the company.
That makes recruiting a breeze. Quite often companies already have this information available, it’s just a matter of locating, combining, and analyzing it.
Just as important, if not more so, is the idea of retaining employees who are already with the company and doing a good job.
Big data also makes a big difference with this task. When big data is used in this way, there’s often the misconception that the company is spying on their employees.
However, this is often far from the truth. The HR departments simply collect basic information about the employees, their satisfaction levels, training information and other details.
This information can be used to help determine ways to improve and retain the staff already in place for corporations of all sizes. Lowes, ARAMARK, UPS, and other large corporations are already using this data to improve the staff in place as well as in the hiring process.
Big data does not create itself, nor can companies properly utilize it without following a few basic best practices.
- Aligning data with specific goals – This means that HR execs need to remember that it’s not just about collecting as much data as possible, but instead, collecting the right data
- Optimize data sharing – Often, the information is already in place in many big companies—the human resources staff just needs to learn the easiest way to find and utilize it
- Plan ahead – The HR staff needs to work with management to determine the needs into the future, not just for today; these long-term plans are where big data shines
- Protect data – Backing up data regularly is important so it doesn’t become lost in the shuffle.
Additionally, this information should be protected since HR comes into contact with so much personal information.
A great way to accomplish both is by looking into backup software.
Discover More About Cloud Computing
- Seeking Cloud-Based Project Management Tools?
- What Have We Learned About Cloud Security? Myth and Threats
- Top 5 Absence Management Systems For Small Businesses
- Time Tracking Software For Freelancers and SMBs
- Selecting a Global HR System: Essentials Check-List for SMB’s
- BYOD: What Is It? And How Will It Work for Your Business?
- Why Your Business Should Build an Enterprise Mobile App Store
- When Technology Becomes Convenient, Is It Really Easier?
- Top 10 Cloud Apps for Your Small Business
- With Cloud Computing, What Do You Need to Know About IaaS?
- Big Data and HR: A love story
- How Cloud Systems Began: The Rise of the Virtual Machine
- Is The Rate of Change in Technology Initiating Legal Concerns?
- How Do You Determine Good Reporting Metrics When Using SharePoint?
- Do You Know What to Look for in Good HR Software?
- Why Do You Fear the Word ‘Outsourcing’?
- What’s with All the Hype with Cloud Accounting Programs?
- Just How Cloudy is Our Future? 7 Points to Consider
- Considerations For A Paperless HR: Is This REALLY the Way to Go?
- More Cloud-Based Services You May Be Using
- The Benefits of Asset Tracking Software for Your Firm
- Will The Cloud Replace Grid Computing Forever?
- HR Needs: How To Effectively Work With IT
- How Cloud Service Interruptions Are Only Symbolic
- A Beginner’s Guide to Cloud Applicant Tracking Systems
- The 5 Most Valuable Questions To Ask When Choosing A Cloud Provider
- The Evolution of HR Technology
- 5 Most Common Mobile Recruiting Mistakes
- Using Big Data In Payroll – Improving Your Business Processes
- The HRIS Market in Italy: Opportunities and Challenges During an Economic Crisis
- Insourcing vs Outsourcing: How to Drive your Venture Forward in the Current Economy
- Could Cloud Systems Provide Their Own Power Backup?
- Saylor Frase: 4 Things About IT Security That HR Needs to Know
- Block Storage: A New Solution for Handling Big Data
- Do You Really Know How to Deal with Cloud Security?
- Got Cloud for Your Database? DBA Role Shift Is Arriving
- Drive to the Office Comparison. Commute? No, Software
- Establishing Efficient Workflows Using SharePoint? Yes! Here’s How…
- Here’s a Thought: How About Using SharePoint to Actually… Share?
- Creating Value in Managing Documents By Using SharePoint
- Have You Thought About What to Look for In a SharePoint Consultant?
- Webinar : Just How Much Will the Cloud Impact Your Business?
- Why It’s Time for Data Centers to Catch Up
- Why Make the Move To the Cloud?
- What Are The Security Issues Surrounding Cloud Technology?
- Understanding Challenges in Virtualization
- Troubleshooting and Business Processes in the Cloud Are… Different
- What is Cloudsourcing? Are There Benefits from Cloudsourcing?
- 10 Steps Towards ERP Mobility
- Change How You Do Business With Cloud Computing
- Giving Small Business a Competitive Advantage with the Cloud
- What Are the Benefits of Cloud Computing?
- RTI Payroll and the Small Business: What’s Going to Change?
- Servers vs. the Cloud: Which is Best for Your Business?
- Have Any Clue What Cloud-Based Services You Already Use?
- What is Software as a Service?
- Enterprise Resource Planning Software Consulting – Its future inclination
Our Social Media Presence
Where to Follow Us!
Dawn Altnam is a regular contributor to The HRIS World, be sure to see her other articles listed just below.
Dawn lives & works in the midwest and loves following the business tech world.
After furthering her education, she now spends her time researching her interests and blogging her discoveries quite often.
Latest posts by Dawn Altnam (see all)
- Leveraging HR Technology in an HR Paper World - Fri, 28-Apr-2017
- BYOD: What Is It? And How Will It Work for Your Business? - Fri, 13-May-2016
- When Technology Becomes Convenient, Is It Really Easier? - Sun, 8-May-2016
- Staffing Your IT Department for Success - Thu, 5-May-2016
- Big Data and HR: A love story - Fri, 8-Apr-2016