Use our LinkedIn Login to download this post to PDF or save it to MyLibrary!
This series is focused on approaching HRIS Project Management from outside of the box as experienced and documented by Garrett OBrien of CGServicesUSA Inc as well as Lauren Gander of HR Software Solutions, Inc.
Lets be clear right up front that we are not ditching any of the methodologies of Project Management. Instead, we are taking a look at just why some projects go so well while most others do not from our own experiences as well as those documented elsewhere. From there we are focusing on the successful elements that seem to be missing from most Project Management methodologies. The projects that do not go so well happen more frequent than not and it seems most Project Managers just give in to timeline extensions and over budget occurrences as being part of the learning curve to gain for the next project as well as being part of the job.
Garrett did as well until his 5th project and decided there was more to making a project come in on-time and within budget than just luck and more likely the cause of missing skills as well as incorrect perceptions. If some Project Managers could run most if not all their projects on time and within budget while most others could not, then we sought out to find out why some could consistently do so well.
We look into what contributed to those consistent successes in our entire content series The HRIS World Project Insights Series™ with the first 6 posts sharing the professional experiences of Garrett OBrien. These 1st 6 posts are the foundation of most of this series and it is highly suggested you give them a good read. They are easily found with the short URLs j.mp/thwCESintro1 to /thwCESintro6 as well as in the listing of related content in the toggle box at the end of all posts related to this series.
All other content arrives from contributors like you as well as the sharing of experiences from Lauren Ganders company. Feel free to reach out to us if you wish to contribute some your thoughts via a post by clicking the contact us button on the lower right of any page.
Feedback, debates, discussion, collaboration and conversation are always encouraged in the comments section below... For more information about this series, use the blue contact us button on the lower right of your screen to contact us -- or if you are reading this by our newsletter, then hit the reply button to get back to us!
This guest post is being republished and was originally submitted by Chris Bell – writer, VP, Software Engineer. Unfortunately, that is all we have on him right now as his information was lost when our database corrupted.
Agile development (also known as scrum development) is the practice of designing and releasing software features in frequent intervals.
Rather than releasing a final version of a software application at one time, agile teams are continuously releasing new iterations of an application, adding new features and refining the user experience.
Using agile practices, companies can enjoy a range of advantages beyond the traditional methods of software development.
Here are just 5 of the many benefits created by agile development…
Faster Return On Investment
By employing agile practices, you can start integrating your new software more quickly than if you use the traditional waterfall method of software development.
This means you can start taking advantage of the new features in your software sooner, allowing you to start seeing a return on your investment earlier in the process.
Continuously Improving Product
The very point of agile development is to create a software application that is continuously improving.
As developers test out software versions, learn new things, and get user feedback, they can modify the application to improve its performance in the next version.
post continues after these featured free offers
Want to inspire others? So do we!
Help us inspire our audience as well as expand your audience so they may inspire others as well!
Your sponsorship will bring podcasts, videos, and interviews that will motivate both our audiences into action!
Just click the image above to discover more!
post continues from above
Thus, each iteration is better than its last, so the software is always getting better.
Of course, this also contributes to a better return on your users’ software investment, which can be an excellent benefit to them.
Adapt On the Fly
Business environments are constantly changing.
If your company’s software can’t keep up, your product will become irrelevant to the marketplace.
With agile practices, you can adapt to changing business environments on the fly, adding new features and customizations to make your software work in new ways.
Traditional software development just can’t match the flexibility that is afforded with agile practices.
Reduce Development Risks
Every software development project comes with risks.
In the end, success is determined by if the product delivers what the user needs to efficiently perform the task at hand.
With traditional software development methods, you run the risk of delivering software that might technically meet the user’s requirements but not really be what they wanted.
Agile development reduces the risk of this taking place through the ongoing, frequent delivery of working software that allows users to provide feedback throughout the development process.
Increase Creativity and Innovation
With traditional software development, the development team is focused simply on the day-to-day tasks involved in designing a software application.
They don’t have time to think outside the box to find innovative additions that will make the software better than first planned because they’re simply concerned with sticking to the tight development schedule.
Agile development creates a development environment that allows room for innovation based on feedback and ongoing testing and learning.
The Last Word
With these benefits, it’s clear that switching to agile development can help your company get to the next level.
Your users will be more satisfied with your product and it will help you stay ahead of industry trends.
Discover More From Our Project Insights Series
More Content In This Series…
- How to Learn the Art of Negotiating Your Contract
- Call for Sponsors
- Why The HRIS World?
- 5 Strong Reasons Your Company Should Move to Agile Development
- HR and IT Need to Combine Efforts on Workforce Analytics
- Tips On Picking The Right Project Manager
- Our Top 25 Viewed Posts for 2016
- Introducing Our Features for Everyone
- HR Software Solutions Renews Its Relationship with The HRIS World
- Is Your HR Management Strategizing for Success?
- The Myths Many Believe About Home Office…
- Is ‘Which Project Methodology is Best?’ the Right Question?
- Big Data for Predicting Job Performance: Big Dollar$? or Big Whup ?
- Online Service for Booking SAP Consultants
- What Is the Key to Fully Utilizing Big Data in HR?
- How Do You Know When You Are Asking the Right Questions?
- Just What Is HRIS? (Intro Part 1 of 6)
- Is The Rate of Change in Technology Initiating Legal Concerns?
- Performing a Needs Assessment on Project Management (Intro Part 4 of 6)
- The Role of a Product Owner in Agile Projects
- Can You Name the 7 Steps to Effective Project Management?
- Your Guide to Effectiveness: 5 Top Process Improvement Books
- Is Your HRIS Up to Par?
- Reassessing the Management in Project Management (Intro Part 5 of 6)
- Need Help Searching for a Payroll Service Provider?
- HR Undercover: Buying Software (Part 2 of 3)
- No Time to Document Business Processes? Really??
- Avoiding Common End-User Training Mistakes
- Should You Try to Learn Six Sigma on Your Own?
- Lean Six Sigma vs. Six Sigma – Which Is for You?
- Looking at Project Management From Outside the Box (Intro Part 6 of 6)
- How Cloud Service Interruptions Are Only Symbolic
- The Key Components of Solid End-User Training
- How to Ensure A Successful HRIS Implementation – Part 2 of 2
- Open Source HR Software? or Closed Source? Which Shall It Be?
- A Beginner’s Guide to Cloud Applicant Tracking Systems
- What is Business Process Reengineering?
- How Mobile Technology Can Improve Your Recruitment Process
- Manage Your Project’s Expectations Before They Manage You — In Court…
- Managing Conflicts Within Your Team
- How Big Data Can Refine Recruiting
- Would These 2 Things Make a Difference in Your Projects?
- Can Feasibility Studies Be Contributing to Implementation Pains?
- Managing A Global Workforce
- The Importance of Keeping Users in Mind When Adopting New HR Tech
- Analytics Can Help Keep Your Company Strong
- Will Technology Take Over Recruiting?
- Why All the Pain When It Comes to Implementations?
- The Evolution of HR Technology
- Why Are Implementation Costs Higher Than Initial Estimates?
- HR Undercover: Replace Your System Not Your Staff (Part 3 of 3)
- Systematic & Effective Planning for Your HRIS Project (Intro Part 3 of 6)
- BEFORE Searching for A New HRIS System (Intro Part 2 of 6)
- RFP? Or Scenario? Which Shall It Be?
- HR Undercover: Challenge and Change (Part 1 of 3)
- How Do You Reduce the Implementation Pain Points? (part 2)
- How Do You Reduce the Implementation Pain Points? (part 1)
- How To Discern Between A Trend and A Fad?
- Embracing Agile Business: Is Your Company Agile Enough to Thrive?
- How to Ensure A Successful HRIS Implementation – Part 1 of 2
- Can You List 5 Not-So-Obvious Benefits of Using Six Sigma?
- You Need to Find the Ideal Data Integration Software Provider, But How?
- How Basecamp Impacts Project Management Execution
- Basecamp Will Definitely Change the Way You Do Project Management
- Why Add Customer Feedback to the SLCD?
- Applying Six Sigma to Transactions and Services
- Great Project Management? Strategy and Vision, Not Ownership of Results
- Why Process Management and Improvement is Becoming Paramount
- Are You Learning Project Management the Right Way?
- How Do You Overcome the Change Management Process?
- Obtain A PMP Certification While Maintaining Your Work Schedule
- Troubleshooting and Business Processes in the Cloud Are… Different
- Need a KPI Template? We Have More than 15,000 KPI’s for You!
- The King of ROI is Beyond Knowledge and Great Skill Sets
- What Can Happen When the RFI is Overlooked
- How PMP Certification Can Enhance Career Prospects
- Get – and Keep – Your Project Management Certification
Our Social Media Presence
Where to Follow Us!
Garrett is the publisher, editor, writer forThe HRIS World Research Group, which includes The HRIS World, The HRIS World Research, The HRIS World Jobs, The HRIS World News, The HRIS World NewsMagazines, and The HRIS World Videos
With more than 20 years in roles as a client executive sponsor (#thwCES), project manager as well as functional/technical lead, Garrett is sought for his expertise for project insights, thought leadership, and team management globally.
He has been involved in large-scale and complex implementations since 1991 and has recently moved his operations to be with his wife in Brazil.
Garrett has had the pleasure of working with some of the greatest talents in the industry, and constantly shares his experiences and knowledge through content and webinars.
He maintains his fluency in Portuguese, German, French, and English with his various endeavors and contacts..
When not working, you will have to be adventurous to stay up with him as Garrett loves motorcycling, gunnery, boating, sailing, flying, and sports fishing -- and accompanying his wife on her various likes
About The HRIS World Research Group
The HRIS World blog, which is read by more than 50,000 from more than 160 countries monthly, manages to have more than 550,000 pages viewed monthly. 40%+ of the audience are decision-makers in their organization (and about half of that being C-levels!).
As CEO for CGServices USA Inc, he focuses on multi-provider, multi-line implementations consultation for HRIS systems
Council and Education Member of Gerson Lehrman Group Council, helping institutions of the world leaders meet, engage and manage experts across a wide range of sectors and disciplines.
Your Invite to Inspire Others
If you'd like to provide a post, a series of posts, or become a regular contributor to The HRIS World, click the blue contact us button on the bottom right of your screen to send us a message or reach us through our social media for details...
You can always contact Garrett via email, social media, or by leaving a comment below...
Latest posts by Garrett O'Brien (see all)
- How to Master Speaking Confidently for Presentations - Wed, 14-Jun-2017
- How to Learn the Art of Negotiating Your Contract - Tue, 13-Jun-2017
- Our Education System Needs a Wake-Up Call – From You - Mon, 5-Jun-2017
- New Feature: Weekly Video Presentations… Or How We Bounced From A Critical Error - Fri, 2-Jun-2017
- Ransomware: Stop Playing With Fire… and Fate - Tue, 16-May-2017