Can Refining Work Habits Increase Efficiency?
Save 40% when upgrading to Creative Cloud : For existing CS3 or later customers
LEAWOOD, Kan., Aug. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ – In today’s economy, being a small business owner is a tough job.
There are constant demands on time, decisions to be made, and stress about the company’s bottom line.
For entrepreneurs who think that multitasking is the answer, numerous studies have shown that multitasking is not an efficient way to work.
It has even been suggested that this common practice can limit one’s ability to make decisions, decrease short-term memory and even lead to weight gain.
Brad Smith, Regional President, M&I, a part of BMO Financial Group
“I haven’t met a business owner yet who doesn’t wish there were more hours in the day.
“They always feel stretched so thin between work and family, but much of that stress can be eliminated using more effective time management.”
Smith offers a few ways that business owners can refresh and revise their workday habits to work more efficiently and make the best use of their resources.
- Prioritize your to-do list. Differentiate between things that must get done, things that should get done, and things that can wait. Then tackle the tasks accordingly. But be realistic about how much you can accomplish in one day.
- Focus. Jumping sporadically from one task to another isn’t efficient. For example, set aside times during the day to reply to email and phone messages rather than responding to them throughout the day.
- Delegate whenever possible. You have staff for a reason – use them! You’ll probably always have more on your task list than you can reasonably tackle, so this change will be especially important.
- Utilize outside resources. Talk to your business partners – bankers, CPA, lawyers, etc. – about ways you can streamline operations. Brainstorming with these groups can lend a crucial outside perspective on potential business improvements.
- Learn to say “no.” Be realistic about the constraints on your time, and what tasks you really need to take on. This can be hard at first, but both you and your colleagues will be better off if you make an honest assessment.
- Make time to be away from the office. Don’t fall prey to the misconception that more hours at the office will create more success. Everyone needs a chance to recharge, and those times away from work will give your mind a chance to relax and refocus.
Your Banker Could Be of Assistance
Controlling the time you spend managing your business finances can be made easier when you engage your banker.
Many banks offer a complete line of cash management tools all designed to help businesses improve their bottom line.
Among the options are products to help you speed up collection of receivables, better utilize cash on hand, manage automatic payroll processing, and perform remote deposit capture, to name a few.
“Changing your time management habits isn’t easy, and it won’t happen overnight.
“But in the long run, these modifications can be well worth the effort.”
Business owners who can become more efficient and effectively manage time can lead a more balanced life, and perhaps even have increased business success and personal peace of mind.
However, it will require some dedication and a lot of practice.
About BMO Harris Bank
Based in Chicago, BMO Harris Bank N.A. provides a broad range of personal banking products and solutions through over 650 branches and approximately 1,350 ATMs in Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota, Nevada, Arizona and Florida. BMO Harris Bank’s commercial banking team provides a combination of sector expertise, local knowledge and mid-market focus throughout the U.S. Deposit and loan products and services provided by BMO Harris Bank N.A. Member FDIC. BMO Harris Bank(sm) and M&I® are trade names used by BMO Harris Bank N.A. BMO Harris Bank is part of BMO Financial Group, a North American financial organization with 1,600 branches, and a retail deposit base of approximately $180 billion.
SOURCE M&I, a part of BMO Financial Group
CONTACT: Carey Allen, +1-480-558-6383, firstname.lastname@example.org
More articles by Press Releases...
- Can Mobile Devices Can Be More Secure than PCs? Yes, Here's Why... - 17-May-2013
- Top 10 Global Economies: How Costly Is A Hiring Mistake? - 17-May-2013
- Dow HRO Services Launched Successfully in Asia - 16-May-2013
- 14-Point Roadmap for "Improving Diverse Representation in the Boardroom" - 15-May-2013
- CXOs: You Can Now Strategically Manage Technology Investments - 15-May-2013
- CedarCrestone 2013–14 HR Systems Survey Now Open - 14-May-2013
- SMBs Struggling with PPACA, ADP Has A Webinar for You! - 13-May-2013
- Vendors: Have HRIS Customers But Not Sure What They Want? - 13-May-2013
- Athens, LinkedIn, Altimeter Group - What's Going On 16-May? - 13-May-2013
- Call for Presentations : IHRIM's Workforce Analytics Forum - 10-May-2013
To leave comments, you will need to sign in or register with facebook. To have your comments posted to your own facebook wall, be sure to click the 'Post to Profile' box. To minimize spam, all comments require admin approval before they will be displayed.
Benefits for Registering with The HRIS World
Using our registration option will allow you to receive our latest articles via email (you can opt out at any time) -- either allposts or posts for specific blogs.
|5 Common Hiring Mistakes
Read more about these mistakes, and how to avoid them in this whitepaper.
Podcasts - all articles
Kindle - all blogs
RSS feeds - by blog
Some More Information for You...
For the latest video briefs, check out any of our 50+ playlists on our YouTube channel...ADP : Brasil IT : Brasil IT-BPO : Ceridian : Cloud Computing : Epicor : HR Tech Europe : HR Technology Conference: IHRIM : Insight UK : Intel : Kenexa : Kronos : Mobile News : OpenText : Oracle : PeopleSoft : SAGE : SAP : SHRM : Success Magazine : Taleo : TechnoFunc : TowersWatson
You will also find our Microsoft and Microsoft Office 2010 YouTube video playlists helpful with your learning...Microsoft : Microsoft Office : 365 : Access : Excel : Lync : OneNote : Outlook : PowerPoint : Web Apps : Word : Microsoft Windows phone : Publisher : Project : SharePoint Workspace : Visio
AND NOW - Previews to Microsoft Office 2013 and Microsoft Office 2013 Applications!!!Microsoft : Microsoft Office : Access : Excel : OneNote : Outlook : PowerPoint : Web Apps : Word : Microsoft Windows phone : Publisher : Project : SharePoint : Visio